We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel companions for safari

Kearny, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel companions for safari

Hello all,

I am planning to do my first African safari trip at the end of this year(around december 23 or later). The plan is not travel a whole bunch of places and spend my trip on the car, but go out and explore the wildlife-both animals and birds. My research tells me that time of the year is usually not very crowded and the wildlife is pretty concentrated (although not as in peak dry season) and the birds flock in.

I am planning for a 12-13 day trip and the following itinerary seems reasonable. I would

1) like to know your opinions about this itinerary.

2) Find interested people who might be willing to take the leap.

Me: I am a 28 year old male from India currently doing my graduate school in USA(don't get scared) and I am physically fit (mentally -not sure, you have to ask other people!! ) and I enjoy travelling and photography and my favourite fictional character is Jeeves. That's all I can remember at the moment.

My dates are flexible and so is the itinerary, I have the entire winter break at my disposal. I got the following itinerary from Roy safaris-who have a good reputation, it seems.

1 08h30 pre-departure briefing at hotel lobby, then with picnic lunches drive to Arusha National

Park. Morning game drive in the park, (Optional walking safari, or Canoe Safari in the Small

Momella Lakes.) Dinner & overnight at Momella Campsite.

2 After breakfast, short morning game drive in Arusha National Park as you exit the park drive

to Tarangire National Park. Game drive in the Park with Picnic lunches. Dinner and overnight

at Wild Palm Campsite.

3 Full day game viewing in the Tarangire National Park. Lunch dinner & overnight at Wild Palm

Campsite.

4 After breakfast, with picnic lunches drive to Lake Manyara National Park. Game drive in the

park, dinner and overnight at Jambo Campsite.

(You have an option of Cycling Safari, or Village Walk)

5 Full day game viewing in Lake Manyara, lunch dinner & overnight at Jambo Campsite.

6 (Happy Christmas!). After breakfast, with picnic lunches drive to the Serengeti National Park.

Game viewing en-route to Campsite in Seronera for dinner and overnight.

7 Full day game viewing in Serengeti. Lunch dinner & overnight at Campsite in Seronera.

8 Another full day game viewing in Serengeti. Lunch dinner & overnight at Campsite in Seronera.

9 Another full day game viewing in Serengeti. Lunch dinner & overnight at Campsite in Seronera.

10 Another full day game viewing in Serengeti. Lunch dinner & overnight at Campsite in Seronera.

11 After breakfast, morning game in Serengeti as you exit the park. With Picnic Lunches drive

to Ngorongoro Conversation Area for dinner and overnight at Simba Campsite.

12 Happy New Year! After an early breakfast, with picnic lunches descend the crater for a morning

tour of the crater. In the afternoon Crater rim hike with an Armed Ranger. Dinner & overnight at

Simba Campsite.

13 After an early breakfast, with picnic lunches descend the crater for a morning tour of the

with picnic lunches drive back to Arusha for overnight at The African Tulip. (01 Single bed &

breakfast basis)

Hoping to make it possible with your help.

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
903 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel companions for safari

My only suggestion would be that in Dec/Jan, you should try to include Ndutu area by deducting a few days in Seronera. It was our favorite area and a lot of the herds may be in the south that time of the year.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel companions for safari

Hi Pritam and welcome to Tripadvisor. You have certainly done a good start with your homework. Thus proving that you are also mentally fit.

In January, there was a trip review that I think really needs to be on the quick access - Frequently asked Questions - as the finest and detailed camping review of all times (well, that's just my opinion). Here is the link.

tripadvisor.ca/…38046448

Nola and JP travelled the same time you are considering travelling. You may see from that whether to tweak some of your days or not.

3things that I will comment on -

1. this is over Christmas holidays - it will be very busy

2. I always encourage folks to do Ngoro Crater before Serengeti

3. The migratory herds of wildebeeste and zebra are going to be congregating by the millions in the area around Ndutu and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and south Serengeti - Since you have lots of time, perhaps you can split the Serengeti locations to also include a camp around Ndutu if there are any basic sites.

Kearny, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel companions for safari

Thanks a bunch to both linjudy and Q-mamma for that suggestion about the Ndutu lake. I am surely going to look into it.

Also thank you very much for the link to the blog. It was a big help.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 17:27
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel companions for safari

I would comment on your statement <<< The plan is not travel a whole bunch of places and spend my trip on the car, but go out and explore the wildlife-both animals and birds. My research tells me that time of the year is usually not very crowded >>>

First there is an anomaly in the first part of this statement, on spending time in the vehicle and wanting to see wildlife. Both go hand in hand. You will not be able to get out of the vehicle in the parks, and certainly not where there are animals. So know that you will be viewing the wildlife from the vehicle. There are a few places where you can, with an armed guard, go on walks; but these are not in the parks typically, and are only a few places.

Just wanted to make certain that you knew that there will be a lot of driving from location to location in your itinerary. It is a long drive from Lake Manyara to the Serengeti.

Secondly, being in Tanzania at the later part of December is the highest of the high seasons, with visitors to match. Thus, not very crowded will most probably not happen (but who knows for certain how many people will be there when you are). Just know that usually this is a busy time, and bookings at some accommodations are done by some a year in advance.

This is a usual itinerary for places to go and people are happy with visiting these places.

Kearny, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel companions for safari

Thanks Karl, it was my fault, I wanted to mean that I don't want to be driving on roads all the time just to zip from one park to another. I understand staying in the vehicle to watch wildlife, no problems with that.

Also, thank you for the information about the crowd, I was hoping people would stay home to enjoy dinner with santa, but it seems that is not the case.

Do have any suggestions for a change in the itinerary to go to more places that you think are good ? I would welcome any advice on this issue to make the trip memorable. I have already added camping around lake Ndutu area and I have plenty of time to finalise, so feel free to throw in any word of advice.

Kearny, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel companions for safari

I got a travel buddy !!! So that part of the post is irrelevant now.

But I would still like your advice on the itinerary.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel companions for safari

The itinerary looks good to me. These are the places where people usually want to go and visit. When you get to some of these places, the driver/guide will take you to the animals, wherever they are located for that year.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel companions for safari

Congrats on the travel buddy. Having two of you gives you someone to relive the experience with, and means that a personal safari is now affordable. Having a personal driver and the ability to make adjustments through the day can really enhance the experience.

You have given yourself some time which is good. Are you interested in cultural activities? If so, there is a comment on the Frequently Asked Questions to the right, half way down, "I want to learn about the Tz people..." that might give you something to consider adding in.

Kearny, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel companions for safari

Thanks Karl for your opinion. Zeroing in now :)

Thanks Q-mamma for that suggestion. I will of course like to know more about Tz people and their history and I'll look into the FAQ section that you said. I have a spare day after the safari to accommodate that part of the trip.

10. Re: Travel companions for safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:31