We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

We are beginning to plan a trip in Tanzania for 2013, looking at the many camps (thanks TA people for all the reviews!). We'll need to choose a company to make our bookings, i.e. plan the safari, do the logistics. We won't be driving ourselves, may want to do some flights between parks. Any recommendations for safari/tour operators?

1. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2012, 14:33
2. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2012, 14:33
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand of the screen. The 4th topic down is one that discusses safari operators that is usually a good starting point. You could also try typing Thomson and Deeper Africa into the search box and see if there is any feedback on them. I do know Thomson has been discussed here and on other travel forums a lot.

The other piece of advice I would give you, is no matter what forum I am in, when I look at recommendations for operators, I take a look at the person posting, how many posts they have, and what those posts have been. Then I make a judgement about whether I think this is a "real" traveler or someone who works for the company trying to drum up business. I have run into this whether I was going to Tanzania or Peru. So hang out on the forums, read lots of posts and take your time doing your research!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

It is fascinating to look into past posts, Irongrl. I find some folks who seem to be sympatico-type travelers and their ratings get weighted strongly. And I've not been shy about mentioning my TO, who I like a lot and who is on the list you mention in the right hand column.

On the other hand, some folks seem to simply be touts for companies, just sliding their promo for the company into whatever thread allows for it. I always promise myself NOT to use the company touted... maybe unfair to the company, but...

You are correct - this is becoming endemic on TA and folks new to the process deserve excellent advice like that you have given. When seeking advice on companies, hotels, and services, one must always consider the source...

5. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 12:05
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

Such as the post above, an obvious person doing some self promotion. Five posts; all touting his company.

Another thing to judge is whether they have something to compare their safari to, is this their first safari (of course it should be considered that they were satisfied) but when they say they are the best, how does one know unless they know more then one safari company. It's good to find out that someone used ABC safari company and were satisfied with their service and that is useful information; but it is not comparative information.

7. Re: Thomson Safaris? Deeper Africa? other safari planners?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:42