We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

rmolly
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

I would like suggestions for an itinerary in Feb for northern circuit.

I will start iin Mayanara for 1 night.

Then to the crater. Do we need to be there 2 nights?

Then to Serengeti. I want to stay in a nice propertry where I will be able to see the Migration.

How is Faru Faru located?

Thank you,

Molly

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

The Faru Faru accommodationa areup scale but I think it is located in the wrong area for a Feb trip to see the migration. In Feb the migration will normally be heading for the Ndutu area which is farther south in the N.C.A. I'm sure the experts will give you more information. We were in Tanzania for the migration in Feb of 2012. We spent two nights on the rim at the crater and had some excellent sightings on the second day that would have been missed with just 1 day. I am not a fan of 1day move everday camp. You need to give some additional information as to how many days, private safari or group.

Crapshooter

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

Hi Molly/Rita I see you are anxious to get information for your February trip. However, I note that you asked many different questions on several different existing posts. It would be to your advantage to just get your questions asked on on concise post so that they stay together for you to review in the planning stages.

In one instance the poster above you stated they loved Tarangire in February. Perhaps other people found there were tsetse flies, but only you can determine if that will make or break the trip. Tarangire is about more than elephants.

Most people only do one day in the crater. You can work your itinerary to stay the night before on the rim to get early morning access and then you can stay elsewhere for the next night - even get to Ndutu region. That is the area with the baby wildebeest and zebra being born. It is actually in the Ngorongoro Conservation area and the only area for lodging close to the migration that time of year. I would suggest spending a few nights there. If you want to go into the Serengeti proper, then a couple of nights there too - then fly out from Central Serengeti to Arusha.

For many people, it is better to "work up" to the show stopper, so do Tarangire, Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater first, then Ndutu area and end in the Serengeti. The return trip is onerous if you have already seen the parks. Some will do the drive back with an overnight in Karatu, or you can fly back to Arusha from Serengeti. There will be plenty of flights given the time of year.

From what I can see, Faru Faru is in the very north of Serengeti and no where near where the migration will be at that time of year. It is a beautiful area in its own right, however.

I feel that perhaps you are not well versed on the Northern Circuit - no offense meant. Perhaps you would benefit from reading some of the recommended books about safaris that are in numerous libraries. Fodor's complete African Safari Planner and Bradt's guide to East Africa might help you determine what you what to see and when.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,845 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

All of the above and as replied on your other thread. Keep this stuff together so those who wish to reply don't have to go searching for what you've already planned, thought about, etc.

As to Faru Faru, besides the fact that it's in the wrong location for February, being in the West (best visited in June)... it's also very very expensive.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

For the migration in February you need to be in the Ndutu area, it will be difficult to get accommodations so take what you can get.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
821 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

If going in Feb, you must go to Ndutu. We loved Olakira - my favorite safari camp of all time :). To hedge your bets, also stay in Central Serengeti near Seronera. Both places have awesome resident animals regardless of the migration.

rmolly
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Can you please recommend some upscale lodging in the Ndutu area and the

Serengeti proper.

I am reading a lot about the Northern circuit and getting confused as to all of the different reviews and comments I am receiving.

Some people recommend Tarangari in Feb. and 1 tour company said to avoid it.

Thank you,

Molly

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

Molly, that is why I suggest you do some reading away from TA. You will get mixed messages here. There are reasons books are still published and it will help you with some of that confusion. You will be able to narrow down your options and can then look at a few reviews.

Part of the confusion on TA is that you will find reviews of places in Ndutu listed under "Arusha". This is because Arusha is the governmental district it is located in. Thus, a book will help narrow down your options.

That being said, I don't know all the lodging (including mobile camps) in the area, but I was recently at two. Ndutu Safari Lodge - which I would not call upscale though a good location and participates in some of the Lion and Cheetah projects; and Lake Masek Camp by Tanganyika Wilderness Camps - which I certainly would call upscale. The tents have bathtubs - yes, bathtubs - in the middle of nowhere. Separate outdoor showers, double sinks, large beds, a screened in porch and a view and location to die for. Can you tell I loved this place? I haven't yet reviewed it, but will this week. Parts of it feel low key and not upscale, but for sleeping and bathing luxury, it is luxe. It is reviewed as "Masek Tented Camp".

As for Serengeti, camps are listed under Serengeti. Some are fixed locations, semi permanent, and mobile camps - all depends on the time of year where they are located. Again, read. I know I am harping on this, but I feel that you need to seek some independent information in order for you to better understand the reviews and suggestions. When you get it down to a specific draft itinerary and lodging, we can give some specific and useful feedback.

As to Tarangire, you have received enough advise to gleen that the one tour company may be biased on their comment.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:17
rmolly
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

Thank you quiltingmama,

Which book would you recommend as most helpful?

Molly

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

I wrote the books in one of your other posts - last paragraph post #2

tripadvisor.ca/…41344102

10. Re: Help with itinerary to Tanzania in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2012, 12:27