We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

I will be traveling by private car during my upcoming stay in Tanzania. I will be going to between Arusha-Moshi and later from Moshi-Morogoro-Dar-Arusha.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about what I can expect/be prepared to pay for gas. This is my contribution to the trip and busing isn't an option.

Thank you!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

This is think will depend with the type of vehicle you will be using...for example a toyota landcruiser jeep will consume about a litre for 7-9 Kilometers..

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Most vehicles there use diesel fuel. Expect to pay at least 50% more then you would in Minneapolis. You can google to find out the driving kilometers between these points then figure, according to the vehicle you are using, 7 - 10km per liter, Figure about $1.25 - $1.50 per liter according to where you are.

These are all ball park estimates. I haven't been in Tz for several months so I don't know what the current cost of diesel fuel is right now.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

For a LandCruiser, it's actually about 5km per liter on safari roads. Must be better on smooth roads...

Do some math and you'll see that it adds up very quickly.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Not sure about diesel, but I just filled up my tank (gas, not diesel) in Dar this afternoon. The per liter cost was around Tsh 2230 (around US$1.40 to $1.45 depending on the exchange rate). For purposes of comparison with the US (where the OP is from), that's around $5.31 to $5.50 per gallon here.

Prices may of course vary depending on the gas station, the location, etc.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 15:18
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Very roughly figuring, going Moshi/Arusha several times then Moshi to Morogoro and back to Arusha at the long side figure $400 and perhaps about 2,000km. I assume that you would be taking the Arusha/Chilinze road both ways (a hard surfaced road).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Thank you very much for the information; yes, we'll be taking a hard surfaced road. I calculated the mileage and did a little bit of math with the numbers people had shared.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

Thank you for the information; it helps give me a ballpark guide.

8. Re: What can I expect to spend on gas (see route below)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:15