We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bivouac camping

nuneaton
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
bivouac camping

Hi folks

We are hooked on Africa and after staying in mid-range lodges which we loved, are now interested in bivouc camping as a closer to nature experience, but know very little about it! This seems to be rated highly on ATR. Also can you have a jeep and driver for two for the whole stay. We have previousy booked with Tanzania journeys and Leopard Tours, both were excellent. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

African Scenic Safaris
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Tanzania Expeditions
Climbing Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Zara Tours
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Access2Tanzania
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bivouac camping

I think what you are referring to as bivouac camping will be referred to by safari operators as budget camping. This will be where a safari operator will take along tents for sleeping and a cook for the meals. The cook will set up the camp every day and will prepare the meals from the food they bring along. Each operator will have different kinds of tents and some will bring cots along to sleep on. This is the least expensive safari you can get. Most all safari operators will be able to accommodate this.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bivouac camping

I am not sure that the budget camping Karl refers to would bring you closer to nature. It seems that these packages put you into large campsites cheek to jowl with other small tents and tenters. I like to refer posters to Nola and JP's camp report from January. It is most likely camping at its most crowded, but you can read about how it went.

tripadvisor.ca/…38060830

There must be more private campgrounds around where you have a little more privacy and less people, but not sure where to find them.

From my limited experience, the most intimate tenting are the "luxe"camps so you have canvas (but with a toilet and a real bed) and only a few tents in the area. As there is little mid range accommodation in Tz, if you go off season, these cost you half the price then putting it into the price range of lodges.I t's how I prefer to travel Africa - to get that back to nature feeling. When one is watching the elephants 100 metres away, or had their camp chair chewed by hyena overnight - well, can't get much better than that.

Edited: 09 June 2012, 13:34
Alberta
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bivouac camping

You could check out Wayo Africa website. We are booked to go with them in jan 2013. This might be the private camping you are thinking about. They are also on YouTube and have a Facebook page that show's their mobile green camp.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bivouac camping

Hi

Apart from the public campsites there are special designated wilderness campsite, where you will be the only people, it will cost more because a support vehicle has to be used, while you are on game drives the cook needs somewhere to hide if wildlife comes into camp to steal the food, and the TO must provide a toilet & shower so more equipment to be carried than basic camping .

The camps must be booked well in advance

Bangkok
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bivouac camping

I don't think ATR would put you in public campsites, but ask them if you are interested in their product (ask who operates it for them too). Many of the other established operators offer similar and it is worth gettting all the details as each will be different (e.g. shared vs private shower/toilet; pup tents versus some tents you can stand in; basic comfort food versus really good cooking;stretcher beds vs a mat on the ground; separate vehicle for tents and food vs all crammed into one vehicle). The other posh name for this is "mobile safari" and they use these terms to suggest more is being offered than with the usual "basic camping" tours.

Look for reviews of operators (make sure you ask who is actually running it as some operators may contract it out) and ask lots of questions, If you get it right and you like being closer to the ground, it'll be great.

Think twice before doing it in the rainy season, and maybe consider doing the last 2-3 nights in a permanent camp (not a lodge, you'd be shell-shocked) just in case you find out it is not for you.

6. Re: bivouac camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:41