We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Hi, first time travellers to the region and was just looking for any general advice tips for our safari.

We are considering dropping the Serengetti (as it is simliar to Masai Mara and doing Tsavo instead. Does this sound like a good idea?

This is the route at present. Any thoughts or tips? Is the safari section too ambitious in timescale

Sunday 9th September - Nairobi-Masai Mara

Monday - Masai Mara

Tuesday - Masai Mara

Wednesday - Masai Mara - Serengetti

Thursday - Serengetti

Friday - Serengetti

Saturday - Ngorogoro

Sunday - Ngorogoro

Monday -Drive to coast

Tuesday - Coast

Wednesday - Coast

Thursday - Coast

Friday - Drive to Nairobi

Any opinions would be most gratefully received

James.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Well firstly you are covering 2 countries which will make things more complicated. How are you getting from Kenya to Tanzania? You cannot just drive straight from the Masai Mara to the Serengeti - It can be done but its not that straight forward.

If you drop the Serengeti then you are only coming to Tanzania for the crater and the coast. Where on the coast are you intending to drive to from the crater? There is a coast In Kenya so if you drop the Serengeti I would just stay in Kenya for your whole trip. Add in Amboseli and Lake Nakuru perhaps.

Alternatively drop Kenya and do the whole trip in Tanzania and add Tarangire and Lake Manyara and then go to the coast or Zanzibar.

So in answer to your original question I would say with only 7/8 days on safari this is too ambitious. Stick to one country and do it justice. Save the other for another trip. if you stay in one country its less complicated, less driving, only one lot of visas, can all be done with one guide etc etc

Just my opinion

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

The Set up is good but it doesn't show which part of the coast.

Is that Zanzibar,Mombassa,Malindi or Tanga?

Because there are issues of Driving in your post which needs to be clarified if is from Tanzania Coast

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Hi, I'm on the trip so thought I'd answer some questions. The plan was to go to Kenya coast. Kilifi. I've just moved to Nairobi and the guys are coming to visit me so we need to start and finish here. The plan was to us my car to drive the route. It is a private Kenyan car. I don't know if this causes issues. A friend has suggested we go down to Travo to the coast Kilifi, Milindi area first then work back into Tanzania at arusha and do Ngororgoro and seerngeti then finishs with the mara. Thoughts?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Well that news puts a slightly different perspective on it so thanks for clarifications.

It does not change Sheps advice by much though. Still a rushed performance and you still cannot access Serengeti direct from the Masaai Mara without a days detour.

There are no issues about driving a Kenyan car over the border apart from paperwork. Do be sure to advise the Immigration that your are all bona fide tourists.

And do check you have the necessary Yellow Fever Certificate or your trip will stop short at the border post.

Consider going to other Kenyan Parks rather than try to do too much and also figure out how you propose to enter the parks and encounter wild animals. Is your car a saloon or 4x4 with high clearance?

Edited: 28 June 2012, 11:11
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Yes my comments basically stlll stand but would probably come down even more on the side of staying in one country if you are trying to do this yourselves without the help of a guide.

And I would ask the same questions as Mfuwe about how suitable your car is for this type of trip, driving inside the NP's and for game viewing? Also who will be arranging where you stay and your park entrance fees? and how confident you are at being able to find animals without getting lost and how happy you are driving in close proximity to wild animals etc? (I think in the crater you cannot enter unless you have a guide?).

Lots to think about.

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.

Yellow fever certs are sorted. The car is a Land Rover Discovery so should be ok for the terrain.

Good questions regarding park entrance fees, places to stay and finding animals without getting lost. Once we've decided a route we will look more closely into the specifics. Does this sound realistic or are they logistical nightmares?

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

I'm not sure what you are asking now. Is what realistic? Do you mean doing it all yourself? Do you still mean doing both Countries?

If so, I think you need advice from someone who has done that. Maybe post a new thread and see what responses you get.

Most people go through a tour operator (either local or in their home country) and use a guide. Also TO's usually get better rates for accomodation than individuals . I'm really not sure how easy this is to do yourself. I for one always plan my own itinerary, chose where I want to go and where I want to stay but then get a local TO to book it all and provide a safari vehicle and car.

Although you have a 4x4 I presume it doesn't have a "pop up" roof. I cannot imagine going on safari and not being able to stand up in the vehicle and look out the roof - for me this would be an essential requirement of a safari - along with being able to find the animals safely and without getting lost.

Good luck with your planning

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

With your paperwork in order and the car in good fettle you should be Ok. The rest is up to your own stamina and resilience.

I understand that finding Game in Kenya is just a matter of followng the queue of other cars. Lack of a Pop top is not a deal breaker. I use the side windows.

9. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 June 2012, 22:30
Edited: 28 June 2012, 22:30
Albion, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari help needed. Kenya/Tanzania

It has been a few years since I have been but my opinion would be if you want to skip one of these parks skip masai Mara and see the Serengeti. Masai Mara is touristic and crowded. Drivers tend to drive close to wildlife and not care. Serengeti is beautiful and vast. Tanzania on a whole is less commercial and a rare gem. Norongoro was and always will be my favorite. Good luck and have fun.