We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final countdown and thank you!

Cape Cod MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Final countdown and thank you!

Wow, after many months of planning, our departure day is almost upon us! I only wish I had visited the Forum long before now as your postings and FAQs would have reassured me and guided me long ago. I am more pleased than ever with our Itin and the time being spent at each spot (Tarangire, Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro and returning to Tarangire for a few days at Kikoti). Your postings have been affirmation of that!

What I have learned from you is that Tanzania WILL leave its mark on my heart. Personally, I know it will as I have dreamed of this day since I was about 7 and watched something on TV (black & white back then) when I saw this marvelous man and his wife discover bones in the dirt (at which time I told "Mommy" that that is what I want to do when I grow up ... and I proceeded to write a letter to Dr. Leakey and his wife telling them just that!) Unsure if that letter was ever mailed and life did not take me in that direction/career (most unfortunately) but Tanzania has already been in my heart for a VERY long time! I know one posting said Olduvai Gorge is a bit of a waste of time, but for me it will be a visit to a place of my dreams and my eyes tear at just the thought of it! I know the building will be small and the relics and discoveries disbursed to placed where they most probably don't "belong" but I am so excited about the thought of just being there and touching the dirt where Dr. Leakey and his wife discovered such wonderful things! Although life did not take me in the career direction of choice, I/we have managed to visit many wonderful sites and ruins and I look forward to adding Tanzania and Olduvai Gorge to that list.

I would like to say a special Assante sana to Karl, 4sandi, mfuwe, Quiltingmama, IAB, and noexpert for their advice and postings. Annamzb recent report and photos were very much enjoyed and I detect a "character" out there by the name of Achnab! What an interesting evening it would be if this group could get together and share stories and experiences in person and Achnab I would be happy to buy you a Kili, Maisha marefu!

Karl (et al) I do have a last minute question. I am considering going vegetarian whilst in Tanzania (peeled and well cooked of course). Do you think that would lessen the chances of any tummy problems? Although tummy stuff has never kept me "down" it has "accompanied" me on several locations (Hawaii which shocked me, Mexico every time, Peru which was just weight loss - elevation and that very challenging hike I suspect!) and not bothered at all in the Peruvian Amazon (which also shocked me)! Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all, again. I look forward to sharing my/our adventure with you upon return!

All the very best and

Happy Travels!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

Great to hear it is all coming together for you at last.

Stomach problems are not an issue in TZ. Peel it, boil it or forget it is a good rule, that I usually heed but not always. It depends on my sixth senses about the place. Just be careful I am now going to repeat my mantra about those lovely juicy Water Melons which I avoid like the plague. My belief is they are the case of a lot of the problems. Yes you will get folks who eat em at every meal and 'get away with it!'. That is up to them. I don't and I don't get sick.

I loved Oldupai Gorge the first time. Not so hot the second. But given your dream I would go for it and go down into the diggings if you can. Lots you have read about will be there to see.

Have a great time. Safari njema. Come back safe and tell us all about your adventure.

Now chaps! This get together! Sounds fun. How many rooms does Achnab have?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

For many years I told them that I was a vegetarian (not so) but I wanted to avoid the meat and that was the easiest way to do that. I always enjoy the prawns (shrimps) and they are fresh but I don't know how fresh they are in the Arusha area. In Dar and Tanga they are very fresh, caught that morning typically.

One thing you might want to do is go to the Old Boma Museum at the top of Boma Street (at the clock tower roundabout) in Arusha and they have a lot of Leaky kinds of articles, which might be of interest in Arusha. And if you get done there and have some time, go behind the building and there's a taxidermy school/shop there with a lot of mounts. They go out in the parks and gather up skins of dean animals and use they there. I always find it interesting.

Have a great time, I know you will.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

I ate everything during the one month I volunteered in Moshi, including watermelon every morning for breakfast. I was careful about the water I drank. It wasn't until safari that I got a slight stomach upset on our 5th morning, and I am not sure what did it. One of my fellow volunteers got sick eating uncooked egg (she didn't realize it until too late), so you never know what might do it. The only thing I found about eating meat is that it was TOUGH, as in sometimes barely chewable! And I was never too sure what kind of "meat" it was, so I just didn't think about it. I ate lamb for the first time, that I do know.

Tanzania sure left its mark on me/us and are planning a return trip hopefully for December/January. We did not stop at Olduvai out of time constraints, but most likely will the next time. I hope you have a great time! I am sure you will!!

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

Way to go..have an awesome safari!

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

Like Kathy I found the meat a bit tough so stuck mainly to chicken and fish. The only time all 6 of us had a slight stomach upset was the morning after eating a meal of pasta and tomato sauce the night before - no meat. So I think it can happen from anything. Just be cautious and go with your instinct wherever you are eating. We had no other problems with food it our 2 week trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

.....and have a wonderful time!! Looking forward to your trip report.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

I have eaten chicken there which was so tough that it bent my fork. I've never had a good piece of beef. I have eaten roasted goat meat as a snack in a bar, and it's quite tasty, but also tough.

If you see their cattle you will know why the meat is so tough, grass fed, scrawny critters, and there won't be much marbling in the meat that's there.

Cape Cod MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

Thanks to each and every one of you for responding!

So ... meet Monica the vegetarian newbie! That will certainly make by daughter happy!

I will miss experimenting with the different foods on offer but as this is my first time to Tanzania/Africa I think I would rather be safe than sorry and keep my fingers crossed. Why is it that "street food" always smells and looks SO SO good!! I think it would be willing to try a crunchy beetle bug right out of the pan, though! ; )

You know it's going to be a great adventure when you should treat your clothes, get shots, bring your headlamp, keep your bag under 15 kgs and say, "Just don't tell me what it was until I have eaten it!" I am SO ready for departure!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

Wotsit gotta do with your daughter what you eat? You fed the kid and reared her so what you eat must have been good for you and her.

You wait until you get onto Mopane Worms and deep fried Grasshoppers.

Finger lickin good.

10. Re: Final countdown and thank you!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:16