We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

Hello any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. We are currently looking at booking out honeymoon safari before going to Zanzibar.

Not sure what is best North or South Tanzania or Kenya? I have been advised South Tanzania is less busy during August ?

I am just worried I wont see as much wildlife in South Tanzania? Has anyone been to both or South Tanzania and can tell me what they thought?

Many thanks

Abi

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

I have been to both once or twice.

For convenience and ease of access to Zanzibar the south scores very highly. It is a 45 minute hop from Selous to DAR and then 15 mins to Zanzibar.

Also whilst romantic holidays seem to be relegated to the past I would suggest that the southern parks of Ruaha and Selous would have more intimate atmospheres than the bustling northern Lodges. Not saying the northern parks are devoid of smaller intimate places but it does mean they need to be chosen carefully.

Wildlife in the north is good, especially Tarangire National Park but you won't be short of wildlife experiences in the south either. Apart from 'missing' the must see Ngorongoro Crater I would think you should go south.

Er. Where exactly is Kenya?

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

That's lovely thanks was really what I wanted to hear/gut feeling - thanks a lot for your advice.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

I do agree with above comments.

Another thing is your arrival point and number of Days for Safaris.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

I'd also vote for South Tanzania. It's been a long time since I've been to the north, but I've been to the Masai Mara and Southern Tanzania recently and the game viewing in the South measures up to Kenya. The lack of crowds in Southern Tanzania is a big plus and while the Mara wasn't too bad when I was there, it was "off season" (Feb) and I stuck to the private conservancies next to the Mara. August will be peak migration season and pretty busy.

When I was in Ruaha in June, there were 3 honeymoon couples in the camp I was staying in (Kwihala) and they seemed to be loving it. One of the couples had been to Zanzibar first. Mostly people tend to do safari first, but for a honeymoon it didn't seem like a bad idea to do the beach first. Weddings can be pretty hectic, and this couple said they wanted to wind down a bit after the wedding before doing the safari. Safaris can be quite tiring with lots of early starts so I could understand their logic. Worth thinking about.

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

That's great thanks everyone any more words of wisdom be pleased to hear them

Abi

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

By not going to Kenya in August you'll miss the annual Great Migration of Homo Sapiens as they chase after hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebra. By going to southern Tanzania you'll exchange that for much less cars, much less visitors and a more serene safari (the other 99% of visitors to Tanzania will be in the north). Combining Selous and Ruaha, if you've got the time, should allow for lots of good game viewing. And I think that leaving Zanzibar for last lets you chill at the beach after being in the bush. Have fun.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

I was on a game drive in Selous with a honeymoon couple, who had been in the Serengeti just prior to this stage of their trip.

They were enchanted by many of the animals, and the detailed biographies given by the guides.

Hadn't they seen all this in the North? I asked.

Oh yes, was the reply, but everything was so rushed. Just point, click, and move on. Here they were learning about the animals' lifecycle; food; enemies, etc.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

Could not have put it better myself Steve.

Ditto Peter. So much more relaxed in south.

Abi. see what you are missing in Kenya...

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Animal+eat+animal+season+in+the+Mara/-/1056/1469006/-/xyxute/-/index.html

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

Thanks everyone, we will definitely be booking the south - although I would love to see that migrations I think the south is more what we are after.

10. Re: North or South Tanzania -- or Kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 08:18