We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Yes, another yellow fever thread. I just read this one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k421…

I was just curious to know from people who have recently travelled between the mainland and Zanzibar if they are being asked to produce a yellow fever certificate even if they've come from a non-endemic zone and have never left Tanzania?

I prefer not to have the yellow fever vaccine as the CDC does not recommend it for travel to Tanzania. It seems clear to me that I probably won't be asked for it on arrival as we are coming on a direct flight from Amsterdam on KLM.

Thanks in advance for participating in this tired and redundant topic.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

History has it that it is hit or miss, and infrequent, so it is kinda like asking about the weather next month, or where the migration will be in December (or choose a month). The advice here, however, will always be the same. CDC rules mean nothing to the guy at the airport or ferry station if the word of the day is "check". Also, don't be complacent that it won't happen at JRO on your arrival. It does happen there too. But if your only concern is Zanzibar, then you can always accept returning to mainland and forgoing the Island if you are met with the request and the option of a needle "or else".

Here is a question. Is there a chance that in the next 10 years you are going to travel to a place where YF shot is advised - such as the Amazon? If so, then why not get the shot now and you can be covered.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Medical advice: Seek the advice of a trusted medical professional.

Travel advice: I recommend you do one of the following - this is the same advice I give to everyone:

1) Get the shot and bring the yellow card. OR

2) Get written exemption from your doctor and carry it.

Do one of these two and you should be okay. Don't, and you may well still be okay, but you'll be nervous as you walk up to the counter and things might not go the way you want. Tanzania can also change its website with a few clicks and there is no guarantee that they will give a grace period. We've seen it before with this topic and others.

Read this too: tripadvisor.com/…42077816

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,671 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Zanzibar and mainland Tanzania are distinct politically, and have their own institutions.

So, just because you have been checked in OK at Dar, doesn't mean you will be waved through at ZNZ. In fact, the locals know that YF is on the mainland and not on their island, so all the more reason to check people who arrive from there.

That's my take on how the logic works.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

As peterscot, if arriving ZNZ from the mainland, you're technically coming from an endemic YF area. So while agent might not request proof on arrival JRO from AMS, it's more likely you will be asked on arriving ZNZ from your safari.

And, regardless what the CDC might say, it's up to Tanzania (or any country) the last word on what they require and YF jab is it.

The inoc is good for 10/years, so unless you qualify for a waiver, just get it. And, do not loose the Yellow Card provided with the inoc... keep with your passport.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Information supplied by my TO states "Yellow fever certificate rules are subject to change and also to "overzealous interpretation from immigration officials", and so "regardless of where you're coming from we strongly recommend that you travel with a YF certificate, if you do not obtain a certificate or dr's waiver and are refused entry, TO will not be held responsible."

This topic has to be the most flogged to death subject on the board. It should be summed up in two words. GET IT!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

"This topic has to be the most flogged to death subject on the board. It should be summed up in two words. GET IT!"

No kidding! The OP acknowledges this is a "tired and redundant" topic yet proceeds to ask the same old question.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,671 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Hi again,

I've read that link, COAC, and it is ancient. There must have been about 100 more recent posts on the topic.

I recently read on here that people were asked for the YF certificate at Zanzibar,

If you do a search, change the listing criteria from "relevance" to "date" to get the most recnt post up first.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Yes, I realize the topic of yellow fever has been asked many times, but the only thread I could find that asked this specific question was over a year old, so I was just hoping to hear from people who have recently flown between ZNZ and the mainland to learn what their experiences were.

I acknowledge I could have missed a more current thread. Thanks again for all your help.

Alberta
Level Contributor
346 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

Helpful hint when doing a search....there is a small tab at the top of the search page, usually says relevance ....change that to " by date " and you will get the more recent posts.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
753 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever Cert for travel btwn Zanzibar and the mainland?

We traveled this past Feb between the mainland and Zanzibar, and were not asked for it.

I know this is a "hot topic" and most on the forum recommend getting the shot to avoid hassles at entry. We, like the OP, decided not to get the shot based on the recommendation of our doctor, the CDC/WHO information on lack of any reported cases in Tanzania, and the Tanzania embassy publication on entry requirements (not needed as long as you're not arriving from an endemic area).

Recently, I just found out that one of the friends we made on this Feb trip is a victim of side effects from the YF vaccine. She has been suffering from stomach and intestinal problems since the trip, and after months of testing for dozens of different causes, it has been confirmed by the CDC that her problems are caused by the YF vaccine. She is slowly getting better, but it will take a long time before she's fully recovered

I'm just raising this because I personally believe any medicine, especially something like a vaccine (which is a form of the virus itself), should be taken based on as much knowledge as possible. In this case, clearly if the risk of contracting yellow fever is significant, getting the vaccine is a no-brainer. However, when the country is not considered a YF zone by all the world health organizations, than one must consider the risk from the vaccine itself. However small, there is still a real risk. To take such a risk when there is no risk of getting the disease, does not make any sense to me.

We were asked for a YF certificate at JRO. We told the official that we followed their embassy's rules and did not get one since we came straight from US/Turkey. He let us through with no problem. It took 1-2 minutes. For me, spending a couple of extra minutes at immigration was well worth avoiding injecting an unnecessary virus into our bodies.

I'm sorry to offend the many wonderful and helpful experts on this forum who feel differently about this issue. I just feel really badly for my friend who has suffered all these months from the YF vaccine. Hopefully this post will help people make the best informed decision.