We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfort seats on KLM

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Comfort seats on KLM

Flying from Detroit to Tanzania. Are comfort seats worth additional cost of $600+?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

I am 5 foot 8 but not long legs. Not worth it to me. if you are all around 6 feet and leggy, perhaps; especially if you have a night segment and want to sleep. It gives you only a few more inches of leg room, not width or anything else.

I get the window seat so I can prop up against the bulkhead, stretch out the legs and sleep to Amsterdam.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

It depends on time of flight and aircraft type.And cost.

US$600 is a heck of a lot. I would not pay that.

The upstairs on 747, and A380 are good value. EC on 777 is less so..

From Europe we pay €80-100 per sector. They wanted €130 this next trip. No way. I paid €30 for a leg room Emergency row window.

(But ASK at check in. they have some left and they go cheap!)

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

Just did the Delta/KLM combo from NYC and bought the comfort seats on both legs. Glad I did, but $600 sounds like a lot. On the KLM legs, we got a two-seater going out but not coming back. Without the two-seater, I'd say not worth it. As an aside, all the KLM seats were pretty bad. Far less comfortable than the Delta seats.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

From North America, the 'buy when your board" KLM comfort seats are still a chunk of money - not cheap, Mfuwe. About $125 each leg which is back to the $600 mark. At least from Canada.

Consider Mfuwe's suggestion of emergency aisle.

Also, the seat selection for KLM starts at least 60 days before flight. I start checking 90 days out. So sometimes it is where you can place yourself. Can you buy the upgraded seats after ticket purchase?

Edited: 26 August 2012, 23:59
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

Actually I've found that you can get seats much earlier than the 90-days out if you phone. I called in July and was able to get assigned seats on KLM for our February trip. The 90-day out rule seems to only apply to selecting them online. It can't hurt to call and try!

Arizona
Level Contributor
180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

I just recently called KLM and got seats for my February flight as well. It's definitely worth a try if you want the better seat options.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

I flew on Delta from Detroit to Nairobi via Amsterdam in May. The leg from Amsterdam to Nairobi was KLM. The "comfort" seat for that segment was $165 and $125 for the segment from Detroit to Amsterdam. Out of curiosity, because I really debated about spending the extra money, while I was walking around stretching on the AMS to NBO flight, I was chatting with someone who had a comfort seat and asked if I might try it. I'm 5' 5" and the only difference I noticed was that the recline was a tiny bit more, but not worth the price. The person who had the seat said she would not have paid it had she known that was all she was getting. I'm guessing though, it has a lot to do with the plane assigned to the flight. I found the same thing - I could choose my Delta seats on line, but not the KLM. So I called them and they were very helpful at getting me into an aisle seat and as close to the front of the plane as possible.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

Having used the "comfort" seat on the leg from Vancouver to Nairobi via Schipol, I don't think the extra $$ is worth it. Just my opinion.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

I get my seats 90 days out. when launched there was comment that the cushions on comfort seemed 'thin'. Do a search on airtravel forum.

We used them out and back to JNB last year and to NBO in September.

As I say it depends on which seats on which plane. The 747 out to NBO was great, front row, two seats against 'inside of plane' so we had parcel shelves etc., Rtn was on A380 upstairs again. Not sure they were needed.

777 forget it. Take an Emergency row if you need the legroom. Or row 35 where the body cranks round and you get more space by the window.

The seats started at $80 so not a deal breaker. Now they go to $125 up I save my money. Blagging an upgrade is more fun.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comfort seats on KLM

Nope, I had a comfort seat for my AMS - DET leg and it wasn't noticeably different than the regular, and slightly less convenient than the "row of two" seat I only paid $40 for. $125 is a lot of money (for me!) for not much extra room.