We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

Anybody know the main routes from LAX or JFK to Tanzania, I'm planing a trip there and wondering if I should go through west africa Ghana/Mali on to Tanzania or fly to Amsterdam or elsewhere in Europe 1st.I would like to break up my trip by stoping over in 1 or 2 of these places for a few days, preferably Mali,then Ghana, but open to other destinations in Europe.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

KLM flies from LAX to JRO (Kilimanjaro) direct with one stopover in Amsterdam. I flew the same route from JFK and will do it again in December from EWR. JRO is the closest airport in Tanzania to Arusha and the parks of the Northern Circuit.

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

Well, a lot depends on what you regard as "best". To many people, an opportunity to see one of Europe's finest cities (and airports) would be reason enough to go there.

To others, West Africa can conjure up some negative images.

But either would provide a memorable stopover.

You can also fly via London, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dubai.... and so on.

Flights within Africa tend to be expensive per mile, as passenger numbers are very low compared to North America and Europe.

So going from west to east Africa, could well be very expensive compared to longer flights from Europe.

But then, cost isn't everything, and the culture in African cities will be totally different from European capitals.

So it comes back to what you value as "best".....?

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

Flying into West Africa you can do, and you can get to Tanzania from there, however, it will not be easy and it will be costly. INtra African flights are not inexpensive.

I would also advise you to check out Mali for security. It is a very insecure place. I was there over a year ago as an advance person for a group which was coming to several West African countries. Since that time there has been a coup d'état with a military overthrow of the government, and this was as recent as March 2012. You need to be very cautious when there, especially in the Northern part of the country.

When trying to make flight schedules for West Africa to East Africa you will probably need to go through Nairobi Kenya.

Mentioned in this post
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

If you want to stop in West Africa before arriving TNZ, when on an airline search site, select 'multi-city' and enter from/to for each segment. Response will indicate which airlines fly, when, time, price. Then you'll have an idea of what's doable.

Example - assume from JFK and return

JFK/West African city code

West African city-airport code/JRO (airport code for TNZ)

JRO/JFK

5. Re: Best way to get to Tanzania from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 10:17