We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

4 posts
Save Topic
cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

hi,

I was working in dar es salaam, and having residence b class permitt, but it was expired on 2nd april-12, for handing over my work to another , my employer has given me CTA-visa of 2mnth . I would like to know, for obtaining CTA visa from immigration dept, expired permitt need to be surrender to the dept, or without expired permitt CTA can be issued?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

A CTA permit (Conducting Temporary Assignment) is a permit allowing you to work, typically as a volunteer. You apparently have an expired business visa. The visa is something which allows you to enter the country, but it doesn't allow you to work. The CTA is a permit which allows you to work.

As far as I know, you need a visa of some kind, and the CTA and with the CTA you will need a letter of invitation from your employer.

They won't give you a CTA permit on an expired visa/permit.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

residence permit b class is issuing to the person working with a tanznian employer , this is allowing to stay and work in tanzania, for a couple of years validity, if a person dont want to continue with the existing employer and find the other opportunity in tanzania itself? Can he able to work? Without NOC from his old employer in tanzania? If not, then upto how long he can be away from tanzania ?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

I think if you change employers you need to notify immigration of this. These questions need to be asked of immigration because they change from time to time.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

Hi there,

Would you happen to know how many passport photos are needed for the CTA permit? I would hate to get to the airport to find that I didn't have enough :-/

Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

I'm not certain that you need any. They will have a digital camera on a pole there which they take a picture for the visa so if they need it they can use that. It's more of a stamp in your passport allowing you to do certain employment (volunteering is employment).

Dar es Salaam...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

Hi Karl,

I was working in tanzania for 3 years however when i finished my contract i traveled around for a 6 months, now completely broke and im trying to leave the country tonight i have realized, my permit expired 2 months ago. My flight is tomorrow morning, any suggestions?

Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

If it were myself, I would merely go to the airport and try to leave. If immigration tells you that you must renew your permit to leave, tell them that you have absolutely no money and throw yourself on their mercy. If you are absolutely broke you can't stay there either, so try to leave and see what happens.

Dar es Salaam...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

Thanks for that Karl, Its exactly what i did, they started at 1,000,000 tshs fine, and no excuses, eventually cost me $20 dollar bill, after they realized that there threats of immigration prison and the rest where falling on deaf ears. That why I love Africa and hate it at the same time!

Lahore, Punjab...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

Hi ,

CTA visa is for all nationalities ?

I want to travel to Tanzania , what documents i need to travel with ? I never been to Tanzania before.

If its for all nationalities then only i need to buy ticket ???

Yasir Yasin

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cta visa can obtain without submitting expired permitt

Yasir.. it is not for all nationalities, according to what passport you carry and use. If your passport is from certain countries then you need what is called a "referred" visa, which can only be secured from the Tanzania Immigration office in Dar es Salaam. Those countries/passports which require a referred visa are:

Afghanistan, Abkhazia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Chad, Djibouti, Ethiopia

Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Lebanon, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger

Palestine, Senegal, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Sri Lanka, Refugees and Stateless individuals

In order to get a Referred Visa you must provide the following documents:

Provide proof of having host in Tanzania

The host should provide detailed information including

Physical address

Telephone number

Employment or Business (ID)

Approval for referred visa is given from the Immigration head office within 6 weeks of submitting application.

So if you are from one of these referred visa countries it will take you longer, and you cannot get a visa on entry to the country.

You didn't say what country your passport is from, and it appears that you are from one of the ....stan countries so I thought that perhaps you might be from a referred visa country. It is more difficult for these folks.

But if you are from a non-referred visa country with a corresponding passport, then you can get your visa on entry into the country.