We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on Guided Walking Safari?

Minneapolis
6 posts
Save Topic
Children on Guided Walking Safari?

My family and I will be staying at Sayari camp for three nights next August. I understand that Sayari facilitates guided walking safaris. Assuming my chidlren exceed the camp's age minimum (they will be 13 and 16), would taking the children on a guided walk be prudent? I already feel like I am pushing the envelope taking them on safari given all the potential health issues. Any guidance on how safe these walks generally are would be appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children on Guided Walking Safari?

We did a couple guided walks on our safari when my child was 15/16 on the trip and it was fine. We went with an armed ranger.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
996 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children on Guided Walking Safari?

We took our children on guided walks when they were 11 and there was no problem. As long as your children are able to listen to and follow instructions they should be fine.

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children on Guided Walking Safari?

I did a guided walk at Sayari. The odds of encountering anything dangerous are very low. But on the off chance that you do, you'll be with a guide and a ranger, both of whom are armed. As it happened, there were no children on that walk, but I also did one in Tarangire, and there were children younger than yours on the walk, without any problems. Frankly, the bigger danger is that children will find the walks boring because there aren't any close encounters with large animals. I loved my walks, but they were more about things like seeing animal tracks, insects, dung and plant life. We only saw large animals from a distance (not as close as they'll be in your vehicle). There are no guarantees, of course, and every guide probably has a story about getting too close for comfort to a lion. But I got the sense that it's a once in a guiding career kind of event.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children on Guided Walking Safari?

I agree with Irongirl. The key thing is - will they obey instructions to the letter?

And whilst I agree that getting close to large animals is unlikely, in about 10 walks, I've got close to lions 3 times, once accidentally due to poor guiding. (Using a mobile phone on a walk should have alerted us to issues!)

If the guide is any good, they should be able to keep children interested in the smaller things along the way. And if he isn't any good, he shouldn't be there...

5. Re: Children on Guided Walking Safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 10:16