We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Bury St Edmunds
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

I am looking for advice, i will be travelling from nairobi to mombasa and then on to dar es salaam. Can someone reccomend whether it is worth stopping in tanga for a night or plugging on straight through? Also do the busses run everyday inclunding weekends, find recent information hard to come accross. Thanks to anyone who has advice and answers.

Matt

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Matt, You won't find much information on doing this, because not many do this. You can get a bus from Mobassa to Tanga any day (not certain about Sunday). You might have to stop over in Tanga as there might not be enough time to catch another bus onward to Dar. Me, I would stopover as Tanga is one of my favorite cities in Tz.

Bury St Edmunds
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Thanks for the reply, i was hoping you would as i have seen your previous posts and you seem to know your stuff!! Is it easy to do and straight forward at the visa stops? I have a uk passport, do i just pay cash at the border? Thanks for picking this up and replying.

Matt

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Matt..yes it is very easy at the border. They will have visa application forms at the border, have $50, they probably won't have change so have the correct amount. They want it in USD. The bus will wait for you to get the visa

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Karl,

Would your comments be the same for traveling the opposite direction? And does this company still operate? I've seen mixed reports on whether they are still in business: scandinaviagroup.com/Scandinavia%20Express/

Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Yes my comments would be the same going from Tanga to Mombassa. Scandinavia Bus Line is no longer operating, and hasn't for the past several years. There are plenty of buses in Tanzania, you can take a bus from most anywhere to most anywhere. And it's very inexpensive.

The only difference will be in your visa costs. I think the visa for a US passport to Kenya is $50, but coming the other way a Tanzanian visa for a US passport will be $100.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Oops, sorry. I meant Dar to Mombasa. All in one day, or better to stop overnight in Tanga? Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

All according to what time you leave Dar, if you leave very very early in the morning, perhaps you will get to Mombasa that day, if not then overnight in Tanga. I always enjoy staying at the Mkonge Hotel there.

Nizhny Novgorod...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Hi guys,

By the way i am gonna take the same tack from Mombasa to Tanga. Will see what will happen) Why at the border you must pay in us dollars?

Boris

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

They want hard currency and they have chosen to use USD for payments. They will probably accept Tsh but don't expect a good exchange rate.

Nizhny Novgorod...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from mombasa to tanga or dar es salamm

Is it possible to pay with credit card? visa etc.