We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa on arrival

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
visa on arrival

Hi,

what currency is suitable for a visa at Dar , as I am from UK will GBP do or do I need US dollars and what is the cost ? Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa on arrival

I've never seen anything but US Dollars quoted.

The cost depends on your passport. $50 for British. Lots of answers already on here. May be THE most-asked question......

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa on arrival

Prices for a visa are quoted in USD. They might accept pound sterling, but you must have the correct amount, do not expect change and they might not accept it.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa on arrival

Thanks again Karl so how much for a UK citizen in US dollars? May as well take some dollars I guess.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa on arrival

If you have a UK passport the fee is $50 (USD).

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa on arrival

thanks again Karl you have been a mine of good info.Cheers.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa on arrival

As you are in London, I would suggest getting your visa from the Tanzanian embassy before you leave. We did this back in 2001 via a friend based in London, but this re and chose to go through the process at Dar airport. We entered from Rwanda and so the que for visas was only about 30 people, but it was still chaotic and I can only imagine how gruelling it would be for a first time visitor off a long haul flight. It's quite unnerving to hand your passport to a bloke in a uniform only to see him disappear into a sea of people. You wait, then you wait some more, then you get called by name to a window, then you wait again until you get called to another window to get your documents back. Took us about 40mins. When we landed in Zan later on we ran into a flight from Nairobi and it was utter madness and I was glad we'd already run the gauntlet at Dar!

Harrisburg...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visa on arrival

Confused, do you need a visa for a 10 day trip in Tanzania? Thought passport was enough for that length of time.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa on arrival

Anne - it's easy enough to check. The tanzania government will publish its rules on its embassy sites, and most countries provide advice for its citizens, eg the State Dept for the US, and the Foreign Office sites for the UK., etc, etc.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa on arrival

Anne... You need a visa to be allowed to enter Tanzania, as you do in most all African countries. If you are carrying a US passport it will cost you $100 for a visa. The visa is issued by the Tanzania government, and is required by visitors to Tz from most all countries, except for visitors from certain other African countries and some Commonwealth countries.

Bottom line, you must get a visa to be allowed into Tz and you can either get it on arrival or from the Tz embassy.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa on arrival

thanks for the warning Id sounds chaotic!