We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations

Hi,

does anyone know if one really needs to get Thyphoid and Hepatitis jabs for a trip to Tanzania? I got the yellow fever one and will be taking malaria tablets.I haven't seen any topics in here for the other jabs. I fly out next Saturday !

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations

You don't need them to enter the country, but these are free jabs at my GPs so I always get Typhoid and these days if you have had hepatitis a couple of times in the last 20 years they sugget you have lifetime immunity. If you have the time I would get what is recommended, but it's a personal choice.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations

While I've never had the Typhoid jab/tabs, I have made certain to be current with many of these that can be contract even if never leaving home. That's right... in your own backyard or local restaurant.

Consider Tetanus (lasts 10/years), HepA (which I believe currently lasts a lifetime, if not at least 10/yrs) and even a Polio Booster (lifetime protection). And if you do, remember to keep a record of what and when.

It's your health, better safe than sorry.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 22:30
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations

I was always smug about Hep B... don't do IV drugs, don't have sex outside my marriage... until my doc mentioned how many bus accidents there are in developing countries and how many times I've told stories about chicken buses... so if I'm in an accident and need some blood - will I know how good the screening process was? So we got Hep B shots as well...

I'm with the rest of the folks - personal call, but I choose to be as protected as possible... but you may not have enough time left for this to be a good decision - you sure don't want to be sore when you start off for Africa...

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations

thanks for the info regarding the vaccinations and yes I don't want to be sore!

I do beleive I had Hep A and Typhoid jabs over 20 years ago and had them weeks before my trip. Hope nothing goes wrong!

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations

I may not have enough time for I fly out on Saturday next and I have been told my arm may become sore and I don't want that on holiday!Just have to hope I will be safe.Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations

Sore arm? At worst, its about the same as someone giving you a playful punch on your arm. Hardly a reason not to protect yourself.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vaccinations

Get the Typhoid/Hep A as one jab in UK. You would be wise to have already had the combined Diptheria/Tetanus/Polio as normal at home. Especially as it looks as though you mess with large Mammals. One slight scratch from her and you need that Tetanus.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: vaccinations

Your 20/yr old Tetanus and HepA have long ago served their usefulness. And, don't worry about a sore arm. When I've had to update my inocs, I do all at the same time and never feel a thing, least of all a sore arm. Next week is next week, so you have a few days to get what's needed. Just do it.

And, again mention - best all of you know your blood type and that of any of your travel partners, just in case.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaccinations

good advice thanks all.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 05:19
10. Re: vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:17