We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Manze and the Selous cont.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Manze and the Selous cont.

The appeal of the Selous, aside from the great scenery and wildlife, is that, because it's a reserve and not a national park, off road driving is permitted.This is an advantage when it comes to more intimate game viewing and in our case enabled us to enjoy wild dogs, which were completely at ease with the vehicle and frolicked, regurgitated for the pups and ran alongside us for quite lengthy periods.

Lake Manze provides both driver and guide in each vehicle, and with all those eyes patrolling the landscape game viewing is excellent. We had great sightings and close encounters with most of the regular animals, including a wonderful leopard viewing that wouldn't have been possible without the ability to go off track.

Because the camp is located on an elephant walkway, daily encounters with the big beasts is a given. One lone young bull is a fixture and comes by regularly to visit the kitchen area and to shake the doum palms for fruit. This proved a little troubling for one guest as the elephant reached out to grab a fruit which had rolled into the lounge area and touched his leg with the tip of his trunk which just about scared the guy to death!

I was using the tent bathroom one day when there was a shower of dead leaves and fruit bouncing off the canvas and when I stood up to see what was happening I was practically eye to eye with the elephant who just kept about his meal. It is astonishing to see such a huge beast pass within centimetres of tent poles without touching anything.

Being unfenced the camp often has interesting visitors and one morning a group of lions kept some visitors tent bound for quite some time as they passed slowly through. Hence the warning about no outside travel between tents at night without an askari.

On our final day the people we had shared a vehicle with had a close encounter with lions at their tent. The lady, a charming octogenarian,(which gives me hope for safari going in my dotage!), was moving in her tent with the sides up. She was wearing a white nighty, which apparently is a colour that fascinates animals, and a sub-adult male fixated on this and pressed his nose against the netting giving her, so she said, a look of mixed longing, interest and hunger. Needless to say she was a bit put out, dropped to the floor and yelled for an askari. It took quite a while to sort this out as there were 7 lions moving through and eventually vehicles had to be brought in to move the lions on.

All in all we found Lake Manze camp to be a wonderful place. As I said before it's a basic no luxury camp that really has a true safari feel about it and we would return in an instant. The guiding is very good and the area hums with game. The food is good, although a couple of meals could have been improved. This minor detail is now being addressed by the management and with some tweaking should be as good as at Mdonya, which will be the next camp we visit.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Manze and the Selous cont.

Wow! Such adventures! i'm hoping the guy who asked if you could see animals close enough without binoculars is reading this. Memorable, memorable moments.

So stop, drop and roll isn't just for putting out fires. Smart lady...and note to self. No white in Selous.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Manze and the Selous cont.

So my guess to the teaser was abut right eh rick.

Close encounters of the Mammalian kind are to be enjoyed.

Just as well that Ellie was interested in fruit and not nuts. When I was there he came in the Dining room and I saw an Askari actually prod him with a spear to get him to leave.

An Octogenarian in a White Nightie and an adoring young Lion. I don't think I can handle that! Wasn't the Lion scared? I might have been!

3. Re: Lake Manze and the Selous cont.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 20:19