We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary- what do you think?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary- what do you think?

ok- I have gotten some advice from some of you experts, but thought I would post for others to comment. Planning our first Tanzania trip for March 2014 ( know a long ways off!). Wife and 2 daughters (will be 12 and 14 when we go). We love animals and scenery and photography has become their hobby. Been to southern africa before (SA and Namibia). Traveling last 2 weeks in march.

Sat- arrive KLM at JRO- overnight in Arusha

Sun- shop, acclimate, arusha NP- overnight in Arusha

Monday- to Tarangire

Tuesday- tarangire

Wed- to Ngorongoro Crater overnight at rim

Thurs- down to crater and then to Ndutu for overnight

Friday- Ndutu

Saturday- Ndutu

Sunday- to central serengeti

Monday- central serengeti

Tuesday- central serengeti

Wednesday- to manyara and overnight manyara

Thursday- overnight manyara

Friday to Arusha/JRO and fly out

We are not interested in a beach vacation (we do those regularly).

I have the option of possibly taking out the third night at Ndutu and/or serengeti as well as the second night at Manyara. We could add another location, but aren't too keen on one night stands or being rushed.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stephen

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

The trip and itinerary is fine. What accomodation?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

noexpert- thanks for the quick reply. Any advice is welcome.

I have narrowed down some of my lodging choices:

Arusha: Arusha Safari lodge, Arusha Hotel, Ahadi hotel?

Tarangire: Tarangire Safari Lodge (mfuwe's advice?)

Crater: Sopa or Serena (maybe andBeyond lodge?). I couldn't remember which one got the rave reviews here- both have fine posted reviews.

Manyara: Serena or Kirurumu Lodge. Ok reviews. I don't know much. Suggested by 2 different operators.

We were hoping to spend at least one stay in Ndutu or Serengeti in Camp/tented. Maybe both. Not sure. Even with a map, figuring out a reasonable location this time of year has been difficult. I will rely on my operator, but would like better to give some suggestions to them to price for me rather than blindly accepting what they give me. Any advice? Not too concerned with price, more with location and service.

Any suggestion as to dropping a few days and trying to fit in another location, or stay with this and not feel rushed? (my preference)

Thanks again for the reply.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

I had also looked at Ndutu lodge but may run out of options for tents if not careful. We do not HAVE to be in a tent, but I do think that tents in the serengeti give a "classic safari" feel. However, classic can be a clean bungalow, bed and first class service.....

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

I would stay at Tarangire Safari lodge-this generally is in tents.

Then for Manyara Kirurumu also can be tented- but permanent like TSL.

Ndutu is also a permanent tented camp. In the Serenegti i would go for one of the tented camps set up for the season then you would have that "safari" experience.

For the Crater I prefer Sopa because of the access road. BUT others might have a better option but the safari generally with these accomodations would be excellent.

I would stay with this and not feel rushed.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

This is a lovely, more leisurely pace. Nice. I agree with Noexpert re lodgings. The Serengeti will give you the best feeling under canvas and in a mobile, semi mobile camp. I like Kati Kati, but your TO may have a connection with others.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

I'm in. Slow pace is good and I like canvas too but am not averse to firmer roofs where the location is the factor.

I share NoExs plug for Sopa but there are two tented lodges in that location now. Lemala and Kirurumu. This trip I used Rhino as I was not heading for the Crater and liked it but it is Solid roofed and the only view was of the Forest..

I am also a fan, been several times, of Kirurumu TL at Manyara. the view and ambience are good . However, again breaking tradition in the interests of research, I went to Ol Mesera and loved it. About as handy for Manyara NP as KTL and a lovely setting.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

WHat I was leaning towards (if I had to choose at this time) is:

Arusha Safari lodge (2 nights)

Tarangire Safari Lodge (2 nights)

Sopa at the crater (one night)

Ndutu lodge (3 nights)

Modile tented camp in serengeti (3 nights)

Kirurumu at Manyara (2 nights)

Perhaps let the TO suggest a couple of Serengeti tented camps based on there relationship and expertise?

I am supposing that it is not wrong to tell the TO where I want to stay, even if it is not where they "traditionally"put people. I figure with this, I can compare apples to apples when it comes to prices.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

Looks good. Yes, you can tell them where to put yiu, but they won't have as good a price as in the accommodations they normally negotiate with. But that doesn't seem to be the issue for us that are set on a certain place and experience.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

I stayed at Kirurumu Manyara in June, and it was my favorite place. The view was unbelievable!! Also stayed at Lemala Ngorongoro, my least favorite place. It was very cold in the tents at night, which was okay for me as there was a heater and hot water bottles in our tent, but our guide froze and I will never go back there for the conditions they provide for the guides. This time I am staying at The Ngorongoro Sopa, primarily for its proximity to the access road.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary- what do you think?

Stephen, Tarangire needs another day. Trust me.

Feel free to advise your TO where you want to stay. You are the client, you call the shots. (OK listen if they offer alternatives, they may be better but it is your call.)