We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which park to visit?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which park to visit?

Hi all,

I have 3 days vacation (by end of this month Oct) that would like to spend in Tanzania. Which park/reserve is the best choice for me given my preferences:

1- availability of lions and elephants

2- amazing natural views (hills, lakes, rivers)

3- reachable within a reasonable drive journey (max 5 hours) from an airport (I will be flying from Dubai)

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which park to visit?

Wow, short trip. I would have thought your best bet for a safari that short from Dubai would be to fly to Nairobi then fly into the Masai Mara. However, if you want Tanzania I can see 2 possible options

1) Fly to Dar, then get a small plane with Coastal Aviation into Selous. Check out Adventure Camps Tanzania- they have a couple of camps there and could organise your Coastal flights too. Possible problems- check connection times, but that should be OK as I think there are several flights a day too and from Selous. Also, I don't know if Emirates fly every day to Dar (other airlines don't) so if you are time limited that could affect you.

2) a park in the Northern circuit- I think you'd have to fly to Kilimanjaro Airport via Nairobi. The Serengeti is too far to drive but you could do one or 2 of the other parks eg Tarangire, Lake Manyara, even the Ngorongoro crater.

2. Re: Which park to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 21:05
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which park to visit?

Number of your days is very limited to catch those things.

These parks are differ in content and geographical set up.

Selous Game Reserve has possibility to suite most part of your preferences

Selous Game Reserve - Greatest population of Elephant and is famous for Elephants,will have a boat game driver through Rufiji River which is a home of Hoppos and Crocodile.

Other species commonly seen are lions,wild dogs,buffaloes,bushbuck,impalas,elands,baboons,zebras and greater kudus.It was originally set aside as a hunting area where animals are abundant but more shy than the Northern Parks.Excursions will permit you to have good photographic opportunities and the chance to explore different sections of vast park.

Day 1:Boat Safari

Day 2:Full day game Driver

Day 3:Walking Safaris

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which park to visit?

The closest park to Arusha (outside of small parks which with your short time you will want to avoid) would be Tarengire. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive from Arusha and the airport you would fly into is Kilimanjaro (JRO) from Dubai.

Tarengire is at it's prime in the dry season when they will have tons of elephants, zebra, buffalo, antelope, along with all the predators. They come here for a river which flows water most all the time. Other than that they also have wonderful baobob trees and great landscape.

I've been to most all the parks, and in October I would definitely choose to be in the Tarengire, especially with only 3 days.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which park to visit?

As Stokey and Mzee.

Selous would be most convenient or drive to Mukumi.(that might take up four hours or so)

Heading for the North, then arrive JRO and try Tarangire. I had ellies and lions round my tent but it was dark then. However down in the river there will be plenty.

NO Guarantees of Lion anywhere least of all in Manyara.

Best bet with a longer drive would be Ngorongoro where there are magnficent Elephant and a good chance of Lion.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which park to visit?

Thanks for the replies.

Lake Manyara looks the best option for me. How likely is it to see lions there?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which park to visit?

I've never seen one there and been there multiple times. At other times there might be.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which park to visit?

The ink was hardly dry on a piece I wrote saying that after numerous visits I had not seen Tree climbing lions in Manyara when I did see them.

There are Lions in Lake Manyaa and every other park.

Whether you see them or not is a matter of luck as always.

If only one chance then I would take it in Ngorongoro and find them by looking for 20 cars in a huddle.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which park to visit?

Seems like you are heading out during the eid ul adha holiday period in Dubai thus the short time. We have several expats traveling during this same time every year. A lot of them opt for experiencing the Serengeti - Masai Mara ecosystem though the head mostly to Kenya during this time - simply better flight logistics and also the migration is on the way of return this year in October.

Selous Game Reserve is one great option for ease of logistics from Dar.

Another option you want to take on for 3 days is heading to Mikumi National Park - drive-able from Dar es Salaam. Takes around 4 hours, and yes it does have lions and elephants!

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which park to visit?

It's probably better if you DON'T expect to see lions and elephants. Then, if you do come across them, it will be a bonus.

They don't sit around waiting for tourists to turn up.

As one guide told me - they move around at night!