We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

Washington
Level Contributor
498 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

We leave in 4 days!, i had a thought that I don't know the answer to. I know to be careful about what we eat and drink and I have read past posts about the food. But what about tea and coffee....? Is it made with bottled water and how would we know? Or is it heated enough to kill anything harmful? I can do without a green salad but I really don't want to go 2 weeks without coffee! Also, is the milk or cream to put in coffee pasteurized or raw?

Thanks to everyone on the forum and all the information. We were able to pack with one carry-on for clothes and another for electronics and cameras. That was a first for us.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

Rorygirl, you must be so excited. Have a wonderful trip.

Please, do not worry about the coffee or tea, or for that matter, even the salad....but avoid the watermelon. Okay, remember, you are being cared for by a very reputable TO. They have learned by now to prepare all foods for a mzungu diet and stomach. The water is well boiled for anything they cook. I wouldn't be drinking milk in the Maasai village, but definitely add it to your coffee. Bear in mind, the coffee may be instant. Let's hope you get true coffee part of the trip.

Good on you with the packing. Now, pack away your worries and concerns, have a great trip and we will be waiting for that report when you get back.

I bet it is hard to believe that after all this time and planning -it's finally here!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

Four days. Great feeling. comments as above. Boiled water in your coffee and tea. (I don't drink tea in foreign climes including North America, as they don't know how to brew it) I drink both black or green anyway so never bother with the milk. I do drink the milk on my cereals though. It's fine.

Some boil that too, yuk!

TZ coffee, if you can get it, is great. There will be an instant variety on offer in most places though. A bad habit they picked up from tourists.

Well done on the packing.

And of course Safari Njema.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

I drink coffee and tea there, and never had a problem with it. It is typically made with boiled water, which has been boiled for sufficient time to make it wholesome.

Most milk there is raw milk. Some sold in quantity is pasteurized but for the most part that milk which is sold is mostly from small home stores. Most of that is not pasteurized. In addition, they don't have the veterinarians and other public health officials there to ensure the health and safety of the cattle herds which is as important to milk safety as pasteurization, and they have no way of conducting on a mass scale somatic cell counts to determine the healthfulness of publicly sold milk; I never drink milk there because of this. I've witnessed cows being milked there with obvious mastitis.

I drink black coffee and tea so it's easy for me. If I had to put milk in my coffee I would bring along some coffee creamer to avoid the milk there.

Edited: 28 October 2012, 10:52
Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

TZ coffee, if you can get it, is great.

----------------

you would think that with Kenya being a neighbor, it would be easy to import coffee... no?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

They grow great coffee in Tanzania.

They don't export much of it, but I doubt anyone would buy Kenyan coffee.

There's a phrase "coals to Newcastle"....

A great place to try the coffee is the Coffee House in Stone Town.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

Kenya and Tanzania produce about the same amount of coffee, with a slight edge to Kenya of about 10% more. Coffee is Tanzania's largest export commodity, bringing in about $115million a year. Most of Tanzania's coffee is grown on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The auction houses in Kilimanjaro Region are there for the export market.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

As Peter .Why on earth would anyone want to import Kenyan coffee to Tanzania?

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

I only ask because someone said "if you can get it".. so I thought it wasn't plentiful in TZ

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

"If you can get it?" Twas I that said that. Meaning that some Lodges in their infinite wisdom stock anything but TZ coffee. They assume, rightly or wrongly, that nothing but the best means imported instant junk that their clients are used to drinking at home.

TZ Coffee, beans and powder, are readily available throughout the country.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee and Tea Water Safety on Safari

The common coffee in Tanzania is Africafe, which has both instant coffee (which is the most often seen) and roasted beans. They use a blend of robusta and arabica beans in their coffee blends. They are a Tanzania company, formerly a government owned company during the time of the Arusha Declaration which socialized most businesses in Tanzania; they are now privately owned and operated. Their headquarters is located in Dar es Salaam on Lugoda Street. In addition to coffee they also blend teas. My preference in tea is from the International Food Packers in Tanga which brands Amani Teas (which mostly has teas for pot brewing). I have known the owners of this tea company for the past 15 years and they are good friends of mine.