We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage

Hi again

What kind of bags would you suggest I take on a holiday to Tanzania?

We will be going on a Safari - so is there a particular type of luggage that may be more handy? I have a wheely bag but I am guessing it may not be very practical.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage

True. Squashy type Holdalls fare best. either in the plane or in the car. Space is more important than freshly creased garments.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,317 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage

You can use packing cubes, zip lock plastic bags, or those funky shirt packs with velcro sides that keep garments freshly creased - in the squashy type holdall. Also compresses them so you can take a smaller bag.

Wheels are not appreciated at times in the vehicles, particularly if going on a tour safari - they take up space, but there is plenty of room for a rolling suitcase if it will make your transit travel easier. Often on safaris there is someone else to carry your bag.

I will say, however, that most items have some kind of strap for the porters to carry the bag over their shoulder rather than a hand strap. Just keep the size to a minimum for the sake of those poor porters. Often the walkways are sand or grass and sometimes quite a distance.

There are many threads about luggage, even one going on today.Search them out.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage

awesome. Will get right on it. thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage

I like other folks to have wheely bags.

One lodge I frequent has a sandy path to the Tents. At night after dinner it is dark so I just follow the parallel trail from the guy in the next tent. So far I have not bumped into a Hippo on Skates.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage

LOL another good use!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage

I have not found any information on the mammal Hippo On Skates but will keep our new binoculars and new camera ready just in case. Meanwhile we purchased LL Bean travel totes large that everyone seems to recommend and will fill them with our newly purchased wash and wear underwear ...take only one pair...Wash every night...seems a bit risky....opted for more...many will fit in LL Bean bag with plenty of room for hopefully not too much else.

ZB

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage

Sorry mfuwe squashy type holdalls also comes with wheels. And they also have very sturdy handles to be picked up on rocky trails, some can even be carried as backpacks. If you travel far as some of us do and have to go several places to reach our goal, wheels are a blessing in airports, bus stations, walking to a hotel etc. especially for the ladies.

Also wheels nowadays are very lightweight.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage

Hakuna Matata ALOHA.

I did say I like other folks to use wheels.

I just don't use em myself despite most of my own journies involving 3 or more flights.

I also love those folks who use backpacks and multiple straps

and suchlike. I find it entertaining when waiting at the Carousel.

Zabriski. I did say I had not found one so far. Probably quite rare.

9. Re: Baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:17