We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Dodoma

Stuttgart, Germany
3 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi to Dodoma

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me :)

we will be travelling from Nairobi to Dodoma in Jan2013 by bus. I planned to take a overnight stop in Arusha and travel on to Dodoma the next day, but couldnt find much information about a shuttle from Arusha to Dodoma. Are there any companies operating between Arusha and Dodoma? Which? Is it more comfortable to take the detour to Dar?

Please, I need some advice, what is the best way to get from Nairobi to Dodoma?

Thx a lot,

Joe

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

I've done this by bus and by my own vehicle. There are several companies which operate buses between Arusha and Dodoma. That is a very long trip, you need to start out at about 5 - 7 am and you will get into Dodoma late afternoon. I had heard that Shibibi was operating a bus on that route, but not certain abut that; if they are take that as they are a very good bus line. I also know that Champion runs a bus on that route but if there's someone else I would take an alternative. Let me ask a friend in Dodoma what buses are operating I'll get back to you later on that after I get a facebook response from her.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

I agree with Karl, and confirm that Shabiby operates in that route. I would at all avoid Champion unless forced by situation. I have used both and Champion could even leave you somewhere on the way e.g at the restaurant en-route etc.....they are always on the rush!! poor driving I could not agree with. Shabiby is far organized than you could find Champion.

Good luck

Zeph

Edited: 14 November 2012, 03:11
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

I just got a message from my friend in Dodoma on the bus to take. Here is her reply to me - "The best bus line between Arusha and Dodoma is Arusha Express - they arrived an hour earlier than Shabiby because they don't use their bus like a dala dala picking up villagers on the way and also had good relations with the police so less time at stops. Both bus lines are older buses so two seat three seat bench style seating but we had much better luck with Arusha Express - one thing in Arusha is the bus actually left earlier than scheduled which is quite unusual so get to the main stand early."

Dodoma
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

Hi Karl and all - the trip between Arusha and Dodoma is not as bad as it used to be since it is all tarmacked now - so the bus leaves Arusha around 6:15 AM and for Arusha Express arrives around 2:00 in the afternoon... Some of these bus lines still go the long way through Chalinze as well so make sure you books the bus that goes through Babati/Singida. Also our last driver was really fast at the lunch spot so watch your driver eating if you go in the restaurant or bring your own snacks and stay near the bus. We left several people.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

Thanks Andrea, that will be helpful to them. I hardly ever eat at the roadside bus stop restaurants, always looked like cholora So the road to Arusha is now all completed through Singida, that's great. When will them get the Dodoma-Arusha road completed, do you know? That will pass right by Mungwe's place won't it.

Stuttgart, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your helpful replies! And sorry for my late feedback-was busy with my thesis...

Ok,so best bus companies are shabiby or arusha express.

Can you tell me if I have to book in advance, and where/how? Where are the bus stops in arusha and Dodoma?

Another topic: anybody with an advice concerning accommodation on arusha? my understanding is that an overnight stop between Nairobi and Dodoma is necessary, right?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

It would be pushing it a lot for you to go from Nairobi to Dodoma in a day. buses in Tz do not operate after dark, and you should hope that they don't.

What kind of an accommodation do you want in Arusha? the bus stop in Arusha is at the bus station in the center of Arusha, in Dodoma it used to be near to downtown, but I recently heard that they changed the bus stop and it's now at the edge of town, and you would need a taxi to get into Dodoma proper.

I typically stay at the Arusha Tourist Centre Inn, ~$30 a night which includes breakfast at their restaurant. Not all that far from the Bus station in Arusha.

I assume that you have somewhere to stay in Dodoma?

Stuttgart, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

yes,we're staying with friends in nairobi and Dodoma.

I'm looking for a low budget b&b, or backpacker. Arusha tourist center Inn might be something.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

I've always found the Tourist Centre clean, Change linens daily, with decent breakfasts, and hot water showers (sometimes you need to remind them to turn on the hot water heater).

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi to Dodoma

what are the bus transport charges from nairobi to dodoma?