We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Hello

My husband and I want to get from Kampala to Dodoma by bus with a maximum of two nights stopping en route and are wondering if it is worth trying to take the western route through Bukoba. Is there anywhere interesting between Bukoba and Dodoma where we could stop for a night to break the journey? Or is it necessary to go straight through? I have heard Sumry bus does this trip but it seems to have very mixed reviews. Are there any other companies that do this route from Bukoba to Dodoma?

On the way back to Kampala we can take more time and go via Dar, Arusha, Moshi, etc, and spend some time near Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti.

Thanks

Claire

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Worth a try.

Why not bus to Bukoba and then overnight Ferry to Mwanza. A Cabin is inexpensive.

From Mwanza if the timing is righ, take the train to Dodoma via Tabora.Or bus if not. Going around the Western shores of LV is a good road but I am not certain of bus routes but to Nzega and on to Igunga, Singida and Dodoma would be my preference.

If going by road then a night stop in Nzega would be a good choice. Hardly interesting but quiet.Forest Hill Lodge is a clean place. I would review it but Trip Advisor cannot find it. I hope you have more luck.

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

I would think that you could make it to Mwanza for an evening stay in Mwanza. There are quite a few decent hotels in Mwanza. Then a bus from Mwanza to Dodoma will get you there on the second day. Buses are not supposed to be traveling at night, so you will need to stop over somewhere, and Mwanza (Tz second largest city) would be a good place to do this as you would be about half way. For a listing of hotels in Mwanza look at www.mwanza-guide.com -, you will find accommodations and bus lines in this guide.

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

No way Mzee. Kampala to Mwanza via Bukoba is two days by road.

A good days ride to Bukoba, and the Ferry overnight will get you there in 24 hours..

From Bukoba south to Emin Pasha Gulf is 'almost' tar but from then on it is rough! You won't get to Mwanza from Kampala in one day.

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

OK, if they can't get there in a day then they will need to use the ferry for an overnight ride and get there in a 24 hour period. They can catch a bus in Mwanza to get them on to Dodoma. The ferry doesn't operate every day from Bukoba to Mwanza. It's the MV Victoria.

The departure schedule from Bukoba to Mwanza is every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:00 PM (21:00) This sailing time is 11 - 12 hours so you will most probably get into Mwanza by 08:00h - 09:00h. You will need to get right to the bus station to catch a bus to Dodoma as they will most probably leave early morning and may have been gone by this time.

Booking can be made by either using the www.Mwanza-Guide.com, or calling 0754 487396 (International calls: +255 754 487396). I don't know where the booking office is located in Bukoba, I assume there is one at the dock. I would suggest a 1st class ticket (cost is ~ 30,000 Tsh (at 1,600 Tsh = $1) for two with a lock on the door.

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Thanks both of you for helping us with this information. In the end we may find the eastern route is more practical but will think some more about it in the next day or so.

Claire

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Eastwards would certainly be quicker. You could maybe make Mwanza in a day in a car.

but Bukoba Ferry would be more fun. Safe and clean place to sleep.

Have a word with William Rutta of Kiroyera Tours in Bukoba. He may offer up to date newsand book Ferry cabins.

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

How about bus to Bukoba, then ferry to Mwanza, then fly to Dar from Mwanza?

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

While that would work Brian I think the couple want to go to Dodoma not Dar.

Mentioned in this post
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Oops! Dodoma. Right. I knew that...

Maybe then a flight to Mwanza then a bus to Dodoma...

Mentioned in this post
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Bukoba to Dodoma

Thanks everyone. We decided to take the Eastern route - Kampala to Nairobi (with Easy Coach) the first day, then Nairobi to Arusha (with AA Shuttles) the next day, then Arusha to Dodoma (with Shabiby?) the next day. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania