We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Finally Cheap Flights in Tanzania

http://www.fastjet.com/tz/

Flights at the same price as the Bus!!!!!!

Not much choices right now, but Wooohoooo!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Well I wish them well.

But not having a need to fly DAR-Mwanza or JRO I can't share your enthusiasm.

I don't see them flying to Katavi, Selous, Ruaha or Serengeti area and that is where the tourists want to go. Probably a good thing.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

They have some good flights from Dar to JRO airport, and at good prices. Not for bus fare though. I did a pseudo ticket, found out that they charge for bags (the ticket price has you only with hand baggage, probably meaning a briefcase or purse) and they charge from 8,000 to over 100,000 Tsh for 20kg of baggage, depending on whether they call it baggage or sports equipment, or if an international flight). My ticket, which had a base price of 32,000 Tsh ended up being 86,000 Tsh when I added one bag and with the taxes and misc. charges. Still a good price for a flight from Dar to JRO at about $53.

They appear to be planning to extend their flight schedules to Uganda and Kenya.

Glad to see it, more competition will bring down prices.

They won't be flying to those safari landing strips, their fleet is med sized jets which need a longer and more solid strip. If they would land on these strips they would sink in of their own weight. Only if they have different aircraft would they fly into the safari strips.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

This is great news! I have been struggling with finding flights on this leg that don't require me to overnight in Dar and this seems to be a solution.

Thanks for the post.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

We were going to take the long bus ride from DAR to JRO, but we managed to book our tickets for 204000TSZ Return with bags. I guess not as cheap as the bus double the price after extra charges. Still it is 1/4 the price of the previous cheapest flights. I'm more excited for the future of this company. I'm definitely happy!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Considering that I've heard fastjet advertising that their prices will compete with bus fares, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

The difference in prices is drastic. Maybe its just the date I chose, but I just checked their prices for Jan 3rd when I need to get from Arusha to Dar and the fare with taxes is 155,040 TZS one way. That is quite a bit more than a bus fare.

It is less than Precision Air, though, so hopefully it will provide healthy competition.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

looks like the cheap fares for the day you wanted were already taken.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 20:36
arusha
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Finally, flying is an option even for some of us local Tanzanians. It is definately a better option for traveling between Dar-JRO or Dar-Mwanza. Preceision Air has strong competition now, hopefully we will see better and affordable services.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

Has anybody outside of Tz successfully booked a FastJet flight? Seems you can't pay via credit card / online.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

For those interrested, here is a full review (with pictures) of a Fastjet flight between Mwanza and Dar es Salam:

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let me be the First to post about Fastjet!

I might be the only human who cringes a little at uber cheap airfare. In my mind, I like to think the ridiculous prices airlines charge cover the handsome salary that a well contented, highly qualified mechanic receives for his impeccable work on the plane and it's running parts! haha. This might not be the case but if plane tickets are as cheap as a bus, I start to wonder if the plane is maintained as well as a bus. ;)

On a more serious note, I think it's great people are finding good deals.