We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Lund
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

We are planning on going on a safari in feb-march. We will start from Zanzibar and the question is if to go to Mikumi or Serengeti. Since the children are small we initially thought of Mikumi (shorter trip getting there) but now I read the big migration will take place in Serengeti during this period and it might be rain in Mikumi?

Also I don't quite understand how you travel from Arusha to the park and how long that trip is?

I have a dream of taking the train and found a fantastic train- Safari express- but it seems at the website it is not in traffic anymore?

Does anyone know anything about it or about the train connections and costs Dar-Serengeti and Dar-Mikumi?

iringa
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Hi Lund,

With the children's to Serengeti there is no problem depends how many days you want to spend on your safari.

What i can recommend is flying to Arusha from Zanzibar ,then in Arusha you can connect a flight to Serengeti or by jeep to serengeti for at least 4 days including Ngorongoro crater.

But this is depends on your budget.

As you said around March will be rain season this is both Serengeti and Mikumi,but the advantage of Serengeti is migration season.

By the way Rain can not be reason for visiting Mikumi as still you can have a game drive because the car you will be using is 4 wheel drive.

If you come to cost Mikumi is more cheap than Serengeti .

Enjoy your time.

pacifica.ca
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Serengeti is best park to visit,rain can,t stop game drive but you may get little stuck as you have kids you need well trained guide i advice you to use Tanzania adventure Travel,they have well trained driver guide,we traveled with them.

Have a good safari

pacifica.ca
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Serengeti is best park to visit,rain can,t stop game drive but you may get little stuck as you have kids you need well trained guide i advice you to use Tanzania adventure Travel,they have well trained driver guide,we traveled with them.

Have a good safari

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Can consider also Selous Game Reserve.

Mikumi will take you a long drive from Dar es salam which can bother a Kid.

Can take a flight from Zanzibar to Selous Airstrip.

Regards,.

Zanzilandholidays

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,677 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Personally, I think the 3-year-old is a bit young for this. Game drives are long.

You will need to find a camp or guide who is happy to have young children around, and you will need to watch them all the time, as there are no fences.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

Train travel in Tanzania is undependable, often uncomfortable, and there are safety concerns. You can disregard it from your planning.

Your 7 year old, depending on personality, may enjoy or tolerate the safari… and is likely to have a few good memories to associate with the photos – and will have some bragging rights to his friends over the years as few of his Swedish classmates will have been to Africa on safari.

Your 3 year old will not remember the trip except through the photos. If our kids are any measure, the younger will resent the older for having an adventure the younger can’t really enjoy.

You will also want to prep the kids. While we found the predator/prey relationship endlessly fascinating – kids need to understand that The Lion King is not a documentary and that in real life, killing and eating is not neat and tidy… it looks like this

…photobucket.com/user/…

The approaches to the parks from Zanzibar are all long and expensive. You have to fly to the mainland. By road from Dar to Mikumi is many hours of paved road. Flying on to Arusha, the drive to the Serengeti is one hard long day, more commonly broken into two. Flying is really the only answer with kids. I don’t know about flying to Mikumi. I know you could make connections all the way to the airstrip at Seronera in the Serengeti.

As to comparing the parks – though we only drove through Mikumi twice, didn’t actually tour it – Mikumi is a national park… the Serengeti is THE SERENGETI!

Frankly, I don’t think this is a good trip for young kids and is really more for the parents. Game drives consist of long drives in uncomfortable four-wheel drive vehicles over dirt/mud roads of sometimes very poor quality.

If you must drag these kids through a safari, my best advice would be to fly from Zanzibar to the Serengeti. Get picked up by a good lodge or camp and plan to have morning and afternoon game drives separated by lunch and naps. Be prepared for one of the parents to stay “home” with the 3 year old at least some of the time… and perhaps with the older child as well.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

I agree with IAB. I know some will disagree but I have never thought a safari is a particularly great holiday for young children. It is a lot of time spent in a vehicle even when game viewing and whilst this may be great for the parents I'm not sure how many young children would want to do this for more than a day or two. Roads in and outside the parks are poor and travel can be slow. Also vehicles can break down so journeys can be delayed, so really flying between parks is probably the best.

Also if travelling with young children you may be limited as to where you can stay, not all camps and lodges accept children. Also make sure you try and build in other activities, not just game viewing into your itinerary. Also don't forget to make sure all the family have the relevant jabs and anti-malarial medication.

Finally you say you are looking at feb/march travel. Is that this year? If so you better book soon as many places get booked up well in advance so your choices may be limited.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 20:51
8. Re: Serengeti or Mikumi with kids 3 and 7 years old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:19