We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just visit only Ngorongoro

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
just visit only Ngorongoro

We want to travel from Arusha to Ngorongoro, staying on the crater rim for two or three nights and then return to Arusha and fly to Zanzibar for the rest of our holiday.

Are we crazy to just see only one area or one National Park for wildlife viewing? Or should we add in the Serengeti? We are traveling from Dec. 27-Jan.10th. 2013-4

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

It's your trip, you can design it how you like.

If everyone did the same thing, it would get a bit crowded in places.

It all depends what you want to get out of your trip?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

Well, you asked. :-) It sounds like you're mostly interested in visiting Zanzibar? If you have even a small interest in a safari, why only 2-3 nights? I would suggest at the least visit Tarangire as well. Ngorongoro is a different type of experience with the animals being concentrated, almost has a wild animal park feel. The Serengeti is incredible, but I wouldn't suggest it for only 1-2 days. Are you traveling from overseas or will you already be in Arusha?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

Though the crater will be a different experience every time you go - it won't the THAT different. It is also particularly expensive with high fees to enter the crater and high lodging prices on the rim. I think you can do better... With three nights I'd consider

Day 1 Arusha to Tarangire

Day 2 Tarangire

Day 3 Lake Manyara, night on the rim

Day 4 Tour crater for 6 hours, drive back to Arusha.

or

Day 1 drive to Crater, tour crater, night on the rim

Day 2 Serengeti

Day 3 Serengeti

Day 4 fly from Seronera in the Serengeti to Zanzibar

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

Idiotsabroad has good itinerary options. For that time of year, however, and if catching the migrationmof hundreds of thiusands of wildebeeste and zebra is of interest, go to the Serengeti.

Yiu will be there at high season with crowds. Serengeti will absorb more people that the Crater. Crater may be like driving through a US animal attraction. Congested and less than fulfilling. One day would then be too many in the Crater for me.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

Unless you want to do other than crater floor visits - walks to other nearby craters, each nt at the NCA incurs daily park fees (24/hrs) and vehicle to go in at $200 each visit which is limited to 6/hrs.

Select either of the routings shown above for a better experience.

And, at QM mentions, this will be the most expensive time of year to be visiting whether the safari or ZNZ segments.

Chester, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

I just returned from Tanzania. My opinion is to go to the Serengeti. I think someone above posted that the crater has a wild animal park feel...that is a true statement. We called it a natural zoo as the animals are concentrated at the crater floor and generally laying around. We also visited Lake Manyara...if you have been on the Kiliminjaro Safari ride at Disney's animal kingdom..they nailed Lake Manyara.

Take a flight from Arusha to Seronera and go to the Serengeti...you won't regret it! We left the Serengeti and flew onto Zanzibar for the last four days of our two week trip.

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

I loved your post. The thought of flying into the Serengeti and seeing the Park and then flying to Zanzibar might be a great trip. Can I ask what operator and what airlines did you use for your trip?

How long would you recommend staying in the Serengeti?

Thanks.

Chester, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

We flew British airways through London into Dar Es Salaam. The downside of this flight is it only flies from London to Dar es Salaam three days a week. The benefit is you can get to Seronera from Dar Es Salaam Domestic. This could save you from staying in Arusha and then heading to the Serengeti. I noticed your dates and you are going about the same time we did and staying over the new year. The tour operator we used was ATR - African Travel Resource - based out of the UK. My friend had used them previously. I would ask a few tour operators and compare prices. ATR was very competitive. They used Mount Kilminjaro Safari Club as the Safari Operator - our guide was awesome and was an instructor for other guides. You may want to compare directly with Mount Kilminjaro..the only thing is I don't think they handle Zanzibar. As far as staying in the Serengeti, we stayed at Dunia which is worth every penny. I wish we would have stayed longer. You might want to split the Serengeti into two camps - Dunia is south central. I would recommend at least four days. The Serengeti has something new everyday and the scenery is wonderful. At the time of year you are planning, the migration should be in the Ndutu area - it is well worth seeing. Amazing site seeing wildebeest for as far as the eye can see. Zanzibar is also great and I recommend one night in Stonetown...totally worth walking the streets and taking it all in. We stayed in the Matemwe area of Zanzibar. Please let me know if you need any additional information....we gathered alot it!

Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

Thank you for your wonderful post. I will follow up on your valuable advice. And much thanks to the others who posted earlier. All of you have made my planning much easier.

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just visit only Ngorongoro

@Liongirl1470 i´m just starting planning my Safari to Africa and would like to do a trip similar.

Can i send you a Private Mesg? have a couple of questions!

Edited: 17 January 2013, 18:47