We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever immunization

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow fever immunization

I just spent 5 days in Galapagos and then 3 days in Quito arriving home on Dec. 31. I just found out that Ecuador is in the yellow fever zone but not in the parts that I visited. Do I have to get a yellow fever shot to enter Tanzania on Feb 25. I'm inclined not to do it but I don't want to be pulled aside and given the shot at the airport.

Any new advice?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever immunization

no.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever immunization

Read the last 10 posts on yellow fever.....

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever immunization

Sophie... you are new to TA forums, so you are probably not aware that you have just walked into one of the longest running discussions in the history of TA... and a frustrating one...

if you use the search box just above your post, you can search for yellow fever in just the Tanzania forums to get a sense of how often and in what detail this is discussed.

On the other hand, you have quite a specific question - and I don't know the answer. You are wondering if being in Ecuador is sufficient reason for the Tanzanian officials to require you to get the innoculation.

I don't know. I strongly suspect that they won't be interested in the fine points, like you being in Ecuador, but not in the affected parts. I suspect Ecuador is either on their list as an endemic area, or not. Look it up and let us know what you find...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
546 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever immunization

There is a certain time period that you have to have been out of a potentially infected area- I think it is 10 days, but that may be far off. Check the Tanzanian Embassy web site for particulars.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever immunization

You don't say how you're getting to Tanzania. If you transit through Kenya or Ethiopia I think it would be a good idea to get the yellow fever jab

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow fever immunization

I guess I 'd better check with the Tanzanian Embassy,however that is done. I was gone for 8 days & not near any place in Ecuador where Yellow fever may be a threat.. But It's newly listed on the yellow fever list. I fly in via Amsterdam and direct to Kilamanjaro. No problem there.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow fever immunization

Ecuador is now on the list along with many countries of South America. We don't need yellow fever vaccinations to go most of them.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow fever immunization

Yes. It's me.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow fever immunization

Sophie - you are missing the point.

Read stephenH and idiotsabroad's posts. It's got nothing to do with Ecuador, the CDC or teh Tanzanian Embassy.

Many people advise that you get it. End of.

Your choice. But please do seek medical advice as it involves putting stuff in your body.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow fever immunization

We just arrived today at JRO through Addis Abeba. They asked every person to show their yellow fever certificate, and if they didn't have one, were directed to the "health clinic". I am pretty sure the person asking could care less what was on the embassy web site. His directive seemed pretty clear. Do yourself a favour and just get the shot, or have a doctors letter explaining why you can't.