We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone Question

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
831 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone Question

I have my Malarone for my trip in 4 weeks, and I read that it should be taken with a "milky drink". What is served at breakfast (which is when I want to take it) that would be sufficient? If milk is available, I have read here that maybe we should stay away form dairy. I have also read here that some people take it with a more fatty or greasy breakfast. The instructions say a "milky drink". Is there such thing during breakfast in safari?

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malarone Question

If there's milk and you like cereal that would work fine, but most places I've been to have had yogurt and that will serve just as well. Dairy products are thought to have 2 beneficial effects: first, the fat is thought to help absorption of the drug and second, the diary products may help in reducing gi upset, a possible side effect. I don't worry about the dairy aspects and simply take Malarone every morning with my breakfast, whatever it ends up including.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 04:16
Alameda, California
Level Contributor
831 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malarone Question

Steve, thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it. And for the vote of just taking it with breakfast!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malarone Question

What steveb says, plus having it at a set time may help you remember to take it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malarone Question

I agree. A set time of day (or week for Larium) get the routine fixed.

Breakfast is good for two reasons.

It gets it done and over with.

You are vertical for most of the time it heads on down. If at taken later when you are recumbent it can lie in your tract and burn.

Most places have milk on the breakfast table and most Lodges of standing are safe.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malarone Question

When travelling, the dairy is pasturized and can be consumed. That being said, they don't drink it by the glass much. I am somewhat intolerant take a little in my coffee. Ideally, just with food is suffice, but breakfasts are often big to start you on your day so that all works in your favor. but don't take at. supper. I was not counselled about time of day for consumption, and as supper was the only REGULAR timed item, first trip I took it then. Rarely slept and vivid dreams. Not good

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malarone Question

The manufacturer's informatiom (from GSK) says to take Malarone with food or a milky drink, so taking with breakfast is fine.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
831 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malarone Question

Yes, I am choosing breakfast to take it, as I have read about some people having sleep issues if taken at dinner. I have enough sleep issues as it is, no need to add another one!

Now I just have to wait 4 weeks...25 more sleeps, to be exact.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malarone Question

Waiting for the trip is much, much worse than taking Malarone!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malarone Question

Lots of bench marks. Got the tix. Paid Deposit. Did it get there? Seen the Doc. Got the cash. I actually like it when I have bought the Tablets. I am closer to going. Then the mornng of the first dose and seven more sleeps. (that is when I start to fret about the darn flights being on time and glued to the weather systems.)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malarone Question

Just to be clear... this thread started off about malarone... you start malarone one or two days before travel and take it daily...

I believe mfuwe is referring to Larium, which he'd take "seven sleeps" before travel... and weekly thereafter...