We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone Question

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
762 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone Question

I have my Malarone for my trip in 4 weeks, and I read that it should be taken with a "milky drink". What is served at breakfast (which is when I want to take it) that would be sufficient? If milk is available, I have read here that maybe we should stay away form dairy. I have also read here that some people take it with a more fatty or greasy breakfast. The instructions say a "milky drink". Is there such thing during breakfast in safari?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Malarone Question

I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV, er, I mean TA.....

Talk with your Doc! Or better yet, probably, a good travel clinic that is up to speed.

Diarrhea is a VERY common side effect of malerone. But it usually presents in a different way than bacterial or viral diarrhea. Which is to say you'll typically have watery stool but you'll be in control of the timing. (although I'm sure this can vary with the individual.) I had an 8 week course of malerone and things didn't solidify, so to speak..., until I was off the drug. But I never had a problem about when I would go.

But seriously, talk to a doctor and not me.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-19799-Malarone+Oral.aspx?drugid=19799&drugname=Malarone+Oral

Also, do carry an Imodium like drug and a good supply of cipro. Know how to use them. Imodium, for example, should only be used when really necessary. If you are sick enough to remain in your hotel room for a day or two, dont use the Imodium. You want to expell the "bugs" that are making you sick, not keep them around in your guy longer! Again, talk with your doc. Because, as with all things, "it depends". You don't want to be getting dehydrated.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Malarone Question

Shep... What you mean?!? In fact the Piccadilly line as just opened a station in Arusha! And, the Paris RER will deliver you directly to the Serengeti.

:)

I did post a relavent comment, then went to edit it and for some reason the darn cache inserted a Paris post instead! (but wouldn't it be cool if RER did go to Serengeti and Piccadilly too? ;)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Malarone Question

Semantics... how common is common for a side effect. Diarrhea is not near the top of the list of side effects... but it does come in at 8%... so 1/12 or so...may experience it.

Want to see a breakdown?

…emedtv.com/malarone/malarone-side-effects.h…

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Malarone Question

In the world of medicine something that affects 8% of patients is considered very common. Imagine if you were told "hey 8% of those who take this medicine or have this operation die from it."

Having just finished 8 weeks of malerone and having read the fine print supplied by the manufacturer that lists diarherra as a common side effect I'll stick with my original statement.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Malarone Question

Sorry IAB but as a Larium user, where I know a lot of folks are put off by the stories of nightmares that occur in only 1/10000 cases, I don't think an 8% probabilitly of getting the "Squits" can be graded as 'uncommon'. That cannot be good for the body or the soul!

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Malarone Question

Actually there are also other side effects more commons than "the squirts"...sad face. But I am glad I have Malarone compared to the others, and I am going with a positive attitude that it won't happen to me! (or sticking my fingers in my ears and saying LA LA LA LA LA)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Malarone Question

Sparks, wasn't trying to convince you otherwise. I like malerone. If you read the literature on the varies anti-malarial drugs you'll find that malerone has the least serious side effects compared to the others. The one big drawback is that it's a great deal more expensive than the other options.

And, fwiw, I'd avoid milk while on the road in Tanzania. I've seen milk put out at breakfast that was at room temp. And I mean milk that was just put out at the start of the meal service.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Malarone Question

>>2 big mugs of hot milk w/cocoa<<

... more than likely was '2 big mugs' of anything!

I would have opted for a cold brew!

I always have Cipro and rarely have need to use, but on this trip one or two mornings got the grippers (nothing serious but was on a schedule and no time to see what would / wouldn't happen), so just tossed a tab... first time this did nothing, nayda. My travel partner had Pepto* and 1/tab did the job immediately.

*I somehow forgot to replenish my supply of these.

Every trip and/or day is different regardless whether game or health.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 20:32
Alameda, California
Level Contributor
762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Malarone Question

"the grippers"...nice!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Malarone Question

Sorry folks, but in the medical world, 8% is relatively uncommon. Also, that includes watery stools, which technically is not diarrhea. Diarrhea also has an implication for the timing and number of stools. loose stools or watery stools are not too bothersome if you can wait until whenever to go, have no cramping, don't go more often than usual and have little (if any risk) of dehydration.

The 8% number includes minor changes in bowel habits as well. If 8% died from it, yes that is a problem. If 8% might have a slight to moderate change in stools, that is uncommon. I prescribe many medicines that have many more side effects more common than 8%. Many of you are probably on them right now....

Also, "I avoid milk when traveling" maybe that is why the change is bowel habits....

Edited: 14 February 2013, 22:00