We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

Skopje, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Topic
Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

I am planing on going to Tanzania this april/may, and make a combination of safari as well as go to the beach in Zanzibar.

I know that april and may is the rainy season there, and that is not a particularly good time to go, as it might hit rainy/cloudy days.

What are your experiences?

Thanks for your input :)

Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

Hi. My first trip to the northern circuit was in July 2009. Then April 2010. Then May 2011. I actually preferred the April. Beautiful and green. Saw huge herds of wildebeest is both April and May. Lions were harder to spot when we were there in May because the grass was very tall. There were far fewer cars in April/May and you weren't constantly eating dust. Also less expensive for both accomodation and flights.

Skopje, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

Dear kilopascal, thank you for your reply:).

As my biggest concern is the rain, what was your experience in those months, did it rain a lot, and were there any really heavy rains..? :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

I was in Tanzania for most of April and May in 2012. Volunteered in Moshi for a month, then safari 3rd week of May.

The rains are not monsoon for days on end. They tend to come in and out. Only once was there a day when there seemed to be rain every few hours.

Animals don't mind the rain, and at times it makes for better displays of hunting. It shouldn't reduce your animal sightings.

There can be some problems with driving to places, but often these problematic places are closed for that time period anyway. And flash floods or rains can happen at varying times.

If you can make it either earlier April; or later May, this is the time I tend to recommend. Both still offer the benefits of a cheaper safari, but in April the roads will be less muddy and the grasses shorter. But I thoroughly enjoyed my May trip and loved the green Serengeti. There were so many elephants and large game, I didn't care about the long grass...and it meant more tree climbing lions so they had better game viewing.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

Was in both Kenya and Tanzania in early to late May, 2012. While in Tanzania, only experienced showers once at bedtime (nice sound on the tent) and once in the late afternoon (short duration). There had been some rain earlier making for some muddy roads, but nothing that the driver had issues with (Landcruiser during this trip). Only one afternoon game drive got cancelled as a couple of the other drivers reported getting stuck. The next morning, when speaking to a couple at breakfast who had gone out that afternoon (when it was raining), they reported not seeing a lot. The green was really nice for background. Still plenty of animals. Spotting the baby animals (warthogs) was more challenging and patience while waiting for the cats to come out of the long grass was necessary. And even though the rainy season, saw no more bugs than at any other time. Lower prices were definitely the draw.

Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

Hi again, as QM said, the rains were not monsoon type. The year we went in April it only rained lightly one day and then several times during the night. We were never rained on in the May trip. May have just been luck, but was not an issue.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

ZNZ in April/May can indeed be a bit rainy, but it's impossible to predict. You may have lots of rain, or (the most likely) some days with a mix of sun and clouds/rain, or a few clear days. A number of the hotels (especially in the beach areas) are closed at this time for maintenance and staff holidays. On the other hand, that also means that the places that remain open are less crowded and may also be available at a discount.

I like going at that time, but I don't mind a bit of rain / clouds. Just take a book for the rainy spells.

Enjoy your holidays!

Nairobi, Kenya
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

the seasorn is a good time and need not wory so much the roads are well maintained and this need not wory about weather

8. Re: Tanzania: Is april/may good time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:19