We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania visit, no safari?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania visit, no safari?

How do safaris in Tanzania compare to safaris in South Africa? I have been on safaris in South Africa and don't really care for them. Are safaris in Tanzania any different? Is the country worth visiting if you don't intend to go on a safari?

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
546 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

I guess the question is- what is it you are looking for? Zanzibar is supposed to be a very interesting place and no safaris. People also go to climb Mt. Kilimanjar0 (and other mountains) without doing a safari. Can't compare as I haven't been to SAfrica but I can't imagine they are all that different.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,631 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

Travel in and to the National Parks in Tanzania are an exciting experience in travel to remote areas. I don't think travel in RSA can compare in any way to TZ.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

The thing I disliked about the safari was that it required lots of patience, and just waiting around to see something or for something to happen. Also, I'm not a fan of being tossed around in the safari vehicle.

I travel to explore cultural and historic sights. I was thinking of flying to Nairobi and then visiting Tanazania from there, I will have to return to Nairobi to fly back home.

Climbing Kilamanjaro is of no interest, I am not fit enough to do it.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 22:42
London, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

mfuwe, have you been to RSA?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,631 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

Yes! I have visited Kruger,,Mapungubwe and Gemsbok NP as well as driven from Jburg to/from these places. I found the place lacking in several things.

I don't think TZ has that many 'cultural or historic' sites. The Swahili coast, Ujiji and rock paintings spring to mind. Neither has Nairobi come to that.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

What about Olduvai Gorge, Lake Natron footprints, Hadzabe bushmen, all of the various groups/peoples/tribes with cultural experiences? -personally, I am as excited about the people as the wildlife, although that is what drew me at first. There are actually so many things I want to see in Tanzania, that I can't fit them all in with one trip.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

As I replied on the Kenya Forum... safari just doesn't seem right for you. Roads are lousy, bumpy, dusty and long distances between areas. Even if just looking for off-the-beaten-path sites, and if using local transport, you might not be a very happy traveler. The infrastructure in South Africa is much much better.

As I replied in other post, there are some camps in Kenya that offer 'unbundled' prices, where you pay for the room/tent rate, then pay for whatever activities or none. Take a few good books and just relax. I certainly do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

To add to brother Mfuwe's profile, he is a well travelled person in many countries in Africa, so when he offers to compare, it is from experience.

Tanzania does not have the same infrustructure as South America or even South Africa. The roads are poor, the 'culture' is often remote, so more bumoy roads, and the history is painted or oral.

Kenya may have more, but I have not personally been.

Perhaps if you Asia would suit as their history and culture is on such a vast scale, put transport can be hectic but less bumpy.

I think any developing country is going to require patience.

I personally would not travel to East Africa to just sit in a camp and read, unless you already have to be there. In that case, you might stick to Kenya and Nairobi area where day trips might be of better commitment for you.

I don't believe Tanzania would suit.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,631 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

I confess. I had overlooked Oldupai gorger and the work of the Leakey's although I have visited once or twice. I have also hunted with the Hadzape people.

I just cannot imagine anyone flying 8000 miles merely to look at them. Neither would I go there to read a book!

Frankly I am with QM in that if "Safaris" (merely a Swahili word for "Journey") do not appeal there is little point in making the trip. Greece and Italy are nearer.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania visit, no safari?

There are a lot of things to see in Tanzania besides national parks. But roads are bumpy, vehicles often worn out and there is a lot of waiting around. Things take time in Tanzania. I spent a month in Tanzania traveling around and I loved it and we are going back in June! My favorite places are Lushoto, Iringa, Zanzibar and Matema at Lake Malawi.

Tanzania has historical sights but they are not as obvious maybe as in other places. There are not a lot of monuments or grand buildings. If you want comfort and action can think of is Zanzibar especially if you like diving and snorkeling.