We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Arusha: We stayed three nights at the Ngare Sero Mountain lodge; our first day was set aside as a free day to recover from the long flight and allow for any missed connections. Luckily we arrived on time so we had a full day to relax before our safari began. Ngare Sero was the perfect place, with lush grounds and lots of birding opportunities; there is a river running through the property and an adjacent trout farm. In fact, we didn't really relax much because we were so busy with the birds! We were pleasantly surprised that Roy Safari had upgraded us to the Pineapple Cottage Suites, which were absurdly huge. We had great sightings there; our only Pygmy Kingfisher of the trip, and close-up views of the impressive Silvery-cheeked Hornbill. Lots of great frogs and insects too. Black and White Colobus monkeys and Blue (Sykes) monkeys exhibiting interesting behavior down by the river (pulling up aquatic plants...hanging from vines.) Heartily recommend this lodge, although the food was just adequate. Meals were family-style around communal tables (and we met some interesting people there--a paragliding group, for one!) But no trout!

Our first safari day was spent in Arusha National Park. Our drive began fortuitously with a flash of a Hartlaub's Turaco flying across the road. Frustratingly, we could not relocate it--but better looks would come later. We drove in via a short side road through the forested area which, while it didn't produce many birds, gave us our first dik-diks and millions of beautiful butterflies fluttering through the forest. We would have loved to get out and get a closer look, but alas of course that's not allowed. At the ranger station we met up with a park ranger for the usual walk "to the waterfall." Emmanuel let the ranger know we were interested in birds...we didn't expect much, but the walk was great! We walked close to buffalo, saw and photographed running giraffe, warthogs, and more. The ranger brought us close to a forested area and immediately he found us a cuckoo, which we identified as Levaillant's--our only one of the trip! As we walked towards the waterfall area, the ranger heard a call...it was Hartlaub's Turaco again. He led us off the trail and into the brush and we all got great views of it high in the tree (no photos, alas--too high.) This ranger earned a nice tip ;) Little Bee-eater and Speckled Mousebirds rounded it off. The waterfall was not really impressive but the spray was cooling and we were all happy.

After the walk, and our boxed lunch at a spot I can't remember, we headed towards the Momella lakes. We stopped several times along the way at small pools, racking up several shorebirds and other small birds (I won't bore you with all the species.) We could already see that Emmanuel would be an enthusiastic and excellent guide--and more importantly--compatible with our style of travel. Finally, at Momella lakes we saw our first flamingos--closer than we'd find them at Manyara or in the crater. More shorebirds. Spent some time getting flight shots of flamingos (not too successfully.) Saw our first of many Augur Buzzards. Then sadly, time to leave--I was disappointed we never made it to the other side (Ngurdoto Crater) but we'd seen a lot--and only on day 1!

Next up: Tarangire.

Please note, the full photo album from this trip will be posted on my website eventually but meantime, I am posting a couple a day on my facebook page www.facebook.com/Janet.Zinn.Photography

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Great shots, in great circumstances!! Whetting our appetites, are you!? :-)

midwest
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Beautiful photos!

I think I am going to be embarrassed when I post my photo link after some of the recent posters and their lovely photos.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Glad you enjoyed Arusha NP. There is lots to do there, for sure. Love that European Roller 'in action'. Great shot.

Joby, never be embarrassed by what you share. Remember that OP is a semi-pro photographer. We aren't meant to compete.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 15:13
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

yes indeed, no competition, I love seeing other folks photos no matter what the quality, its the content that is of interest! And I'm not really even a semi-pro but just an advanced hobbyist who carries about 30 lbs of equipment, LOL.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Nice Rollers JC. Is that Frog not a Toad? Just trying to help Adam!

Can't wait for the rest to come up on a Gallery. More please.

and relax Joby. Nobody criticizes pictures. It is the view that counts.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Lovely photos. Also enjoying the trip report.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
780 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Yes, more please! What an appetizer so far.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

:) I'll try to do part 3 tonight--since I'm still on Africa sleep time and crazy jet-lag, I'll probably be up at 3 a.m. like I have been the last couple of nights ;) I keep falling asleep right after dinner...waking up in time for my game drive....

Arizona
Level Contributor
222 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Did you do the safari walk in Arusha on the Monday after you arrived? I think your group might have been right behind us at one point because our guide said the group behind us was crazy about birds. I assume it might have been your group cause there were some pretty big camera lenses!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Circuit safari with a birding twist: part 2: Arusha

Lager023, yes I bet that was us...we were there on Monday, and all three of us had DSLRs with biggish lenses! You know I looked for you at the airport but couldn't figure out who you were...there were a lot of green REI backpacks, LOL.