We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari trip report

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
241 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Safari trip report

We spent 10 days from 14 to 24 February and had a fantastic time! We stayed at Gibb's Farm, Olduvai Camp and Ronjo Camp. Reviews of them will be done in the next week, (hopefully!), but just to say we were very impressed with Gibbs Farm and the other two were, we thought, also pretty good.

An album with some of our pictures is here: http://brianabbott.jalbum.net/Safari_2013/

This report isn't in the usual diary format but is some random jottings and thoughts that might help others.

The TO was Africa Travel Resource (ATR) who use Tanganyika Expeditions (TE) locally. I'd give ATR 7.5/10. They have a good informative website and the back office functions are very good - prompt, friendly and effective. The only slight downside was the rep, who (although obviously knowledgeable) was, I felt, in a 'crank the handle towards this months sales target' mode and had to be prompted a couple of times when he suggested something not too good. TE provided an excellent driver - Kessy - very experienced and easy to get along with. The 4x4 was though, even by Tz standards pretty old - though it proved to be reliable.

The idea of 3 nights at Ronjo was that we'd be in the middle of the migration at that point. Unfortunately, this year it's a bit late and was still a week away when we stayed there. However, over the 10 days we still saw pretty well every animal we'd set our sights on, except for a cheetah, and had some spectacular close encounters with lions and elephants among others (see the album!). Overall we were well satisfied. One of the best holidays we've ever had! (As it should be, given the cost, I guess).

Apart from the animals, one of the things we got a lot out of was meeting the locals - both Maasai and others - and getting an insight into their lives. It was fascinating.

Now for a few random observations that might be of use to people contemplating a safari:

Driver and vehicle: Overall, I'd say push very hard to get the best driver you can - he'll (for there are no she's!) make a big difference. But don't expect too much of the 4x4. Apparently they're used for 15 years+ (though quite well maintained) - so it's unlikely you'll get aircon, for example (not that you'll really need it). Note: ours, and - as far as I could see - most of the 4x4s, had an onboard 'fridge and a 230v charging point via an inverter, so no need to take a car charger. (But don't rely on that, check with your TO).

Crowds: we expected there would be a lot of 4x4s in Ngorongo crater and sure enough there were around 100, I'd say, when we went. What we didn't expect was the same volume of traffic in the Seronara area. And buses and trucks on the main route through the Serengeti (it's also the main highway to Lake Victoria - 11 hours drive from Arusha). Having said that, it didn't really spoil our enjoyment. And the animals weren't fazed!

Infrastrucure: From the entry to the conservation area just East of Ngorongo crater, it's all dirt roads. Even the main Arusha to Lake Victoria route, which runs through the park and is dusty and very corrugated - and busy (not that it bothered the animals!). (We saw a sign on the back of one 4x4's spare tyre (tire) - "It's rough, it's dusty, but it's an adventure" - that just about sums it up!)

Money: we were advised by our TO to take US$. The experts on this TA forum advised change to Tz shillings and use that. Sorry to say, but our TO was right! On the tourist circuit the $ is king. Everywhere we went (including the Maasai village where we paid $50 for a very good tour - see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJTMMg1lUc ) they quoted in USD and had to mentally switch gears to deal with Tz /-. The only exception to that is smaller tips - these are better left in Tz/-. Forget Euros, Pounds etc - most places won't take them. Take more than you think you'll need!

ATMs: There is only one ATM at KIA (broken when we arrived) but Arusha and Karatu have several. We used them several times. So far we've been billed for exactly what we got out. Our credit card was refused in several ATMs, despite warning our CC Co beforehand, but our Debit cards were fine. We were charged an OK exchange rate plus a £1.99 'transaction fee' that we'd not have been charged anywhere in Europe or North America.

Money changers: There is one money changer in the KIA arrivals hall (closed when we arrived at midnight!) but none in the departures hall. Plenty around in Arusha; though, on the advice of our driver, we didn't use them - relying on ATMs instead.

Tips: The place runs on tips. Coming from the UK (where tips are the exception) I was a bit resentful of this at first. But I came to rationalise this as feeding money into the local economy quite directly - much better than giving money to some charity or NGO where - between 'overheads' and corruption - not much would actually filter down to where it would do any good.

Biting things: We encountered no Tzetze flies and had only a couple of encounters with mozzies - both when we were least expecting !

Souvenirs: Generally, we found the many stores on the road west from Arusha to be cheaper than the shops in Arusha if you're after paintings or wood carvings. Inevitably, you need to be prepared to bargain! Our opinion (FWIW) was that the paintings were formulaic and uninteresting, but the wood carvings included some very good stuff amongst the inevitable dross.

Arival at KIA: we flew from Amsterdam via KLM and had a good flight. Around half of the flight had pre-organised their visas. We were in the other half. We saw the queue for on-arrival visas and had visions of being there 3 hours later, but in practice it cleared pretty quickly and we were at the luggage carousel before our luggage was. It was fairly cool - late at night but also lots of ceiling fans.

Departure at KIA: in contrast to arrival, there were few ceiling fans working and it was very hot and muggy - even late at night. No money exchange to get rid of unwanted /-. Plenty of the usual overpriced gift shops. A cafe selling reasonably priced snacks and drinks.

Best

Brian

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Other Outdoor Activities
African Scenic Safaris
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari trip report

It's rough, it's dusty, but it's an adventure"- I love it!

Thanks for the thoughts. Good to hear your ideas.

I think most would agree about the shops along the roads compared to Arusha, but they are probably more "canned" shops on the tourist ciruit.

I think you may have misunderstood some of the comments about USD and TSH. It wasn't that you have to have TSH, it was that you will get a better price in TSH. You will generally overpay a little in USD because they then go and exchange it. Nothing wrong with that and it may be worth your time to pay the extra. USD is taken about everywhere in the world nowadays, but at a cost.

The tipping thing can be tough to figure out. In the US pretty standard, but in UK a different standard. Neat to see each person's perspective. I like the way you put it- feeding money into the local economy directly. Good way to look at it.

Sounds like it is not worth getting the visa ahead of time. Good to know.

Thanks again for sharing and glad to hear you had a pretty good trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari trip report

Good to hear you got back safe and enjoyed your trip. Like Stephen I like the Motto on the Spare wheel. Apt.

Now to take a look at those pictures,

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari trip report

Some very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari trip report

Appreciate your post - tips, highlights, etc. and wonderful photos!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari trip report

Great review and photos. Some lovely shots. Had to chuckle. You seem to have had rhinos closer than many of us and sharing those 'special' moments.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,951 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari trip report

Thank you for this trip report, and all the tips. Lovely photos!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari trip report

Thanks QM. Meant to mention those special Rhino Moments.

They can keep this up for over an hour and this is why their horn is in such demand. Buyers think it will help them do the same.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari trip report

Nice report and nice pics. Thanks. I was amazed by the number of vehicles at the Crater. I Know people often mention the large number of cars but it has always been quite quiet when we have been there in September and October. I now appreciate what they are talking about.

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari trip report

Hi folks

Just wanted to thank Mfuwe, who has very kindly added some missing bird IDs to my trip album picture captions, as well as correcting a handful of of incorrect ones. Thanks mfuwe.

http://brianabbott.jalbum.net/Safari_2013/

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari trip report

Karibu sana!