We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight from the serengeti

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
flight from the serengeti

hi .

now i have had a couple of itinararies back from companies i have been quoted $ 220 to fly from arusha to zanzibar . i was wondering how much is it to fly from serengeti to zanzibar .also there is 4 of us would it be cheaper to charter a flight for ourself.

also does anybody know if its possible to get a private speedboat from zanzibar back to dar es sallam.

Thanks ,

julie

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight from the serengeti

Guessing but Serengeti to ZNZ will be about $420. It routes via Arusha so just add the two sectors together gives a fair estimate. www.coastal.cc is one guide.

Charters can work out about the same as four+ but for a long trip like that they have to factor in coming back empty.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight from the serengeti

Yes, right around $420 per person from Seronera to Zanzibar. (There are more than a few airlines, and they do not have identical pricing.)

As for a charter, they are expensive. I just checked the price for a charter with one and it depends on the airplane size but for Air Excel's smallest plane, the charter is in excess of $6,000. That's typical pricing and won't differ much from other airlines. Needless to say, we almost never arrange charter flights.

Hope that helps.

Oh, the speedboat from Zanzibar to Dar? Never heard of such a thing. I don't think so. What's your goal?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight from the serengeti

Hi ,

thanks for that ,

wow $6000 it doesnt add up i thought maybe $2000. to $3000

I was just trying to make it a one way trip from arusha . we did some road trips last year in kenya 8 hrs(2 punctures and got lost felt like we nearly ended up in somalia we went that far )might look at the $420 that sounds better.

as for the speedboat .

well my sister had a private speedboat to an island they stayed at in thailand last year and its looked amazing sat on a spead boat bouncing the waves in the indian ocean.

thanks ,

julie.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 07:53
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight from the serengeti

Charters are not always so expensive.

I had a party of six from DAR to Selous and given that the Swiss flight came in at 8. and the Selous flight not ging til 15.30 I tentively enquired about charter. It came out at $20 pp more than the fare would have been.

It did feeel good to be met off the plane and taken straight to the next one (which was being loaded with extra Beer for our camp.)

Charter from ZNZ to Saadani was $150 pp. minimum 2 pax..

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flight from the serengeti

Some of those islands in Thailand are so small, even a tiny dirt/gravel airstrip isn't possible. Boat transport is quite usual in Southeast Asia.

There's already the ferry from DAR/ZNZ and flights from the mainland.

Generally flight fares from SER to ARK and that from ARK to ZNZ average $200+ per segment, thus the $420 makes sense.

Where were you going in Kenya that it was an 8/hr road transfer, despite fact that driver got lost (easy to do)? Was a road transfer even the ideal means of getting between Point A-to-B?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight from the serengeti

Hiya .sandi .

probably with hindsight no its not the easiest way .,but the idea was we would see the country side around mount kenya .we left nairobi at 7 am and got to ikweta safari lodge at nearly 3 oclock .madness i know it should of took about 5 hours .we have always just met our driver at nairobi and then full safari with him ,we have never flown from park to park .

we first got a puncture that we managed to change the very hot tyre .then we got it mended took a while ,then we got flagged down by a guy telling us the wheel was wobbling so another side of the road repair .with lots of help from locals .and then we took a short cut unfortunately it took us round the long way and we had to double back .as well i had chosen to go through Embu i think there was a speed bump every 5 metres . but eventually we got to Ikweta safari lodge and just jumped in the pool .hurray finally at MERU .A lovely park and would go park and do it all again ,i know people like to fly but seeing it all is just part of the adventure and we like to keep our driver /guide.

julie.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight from the serengeti

With a private Safari you will get to keep the same Driver/guide throughout the trip Arusha back to Arusha and I doubt he will get lost.

Flying out and he will make his own way back.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: flight from the serengeti

NBO to Meru, 8/hrs... ugh!

Well, tire punctures can and do happen, so too wobbly wheels.

Seems it wasn't your lucky day!

9. Re: flight from the serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16