We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eyasi/Karatu questions

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eyasi/Karatu questions

In trying to fill my time waiting for my trip, I have been working on the Swahili, but today I pulled out the itinerary to review, and had a few questions. About how far of a drive is it from Karatu to Tindiga Tented Camp at Eyasi? Is there much to see or do along the way? Is there much to see or do near Lake Eyasi besides visit the tribes? I know that there are cultural experiences in Mto wa Mbu-are there some in or near Karatu? About how long of a drive from Karatu to Manyara NP? I know that some are not wild about using Karatu, so I'm aware of those comments. Thanks for any info.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Karatu and Manyara are right next to one another whether driving east or west. Depending on where staying at either, drive time to the other can be as short as 15/min or as much as 30-45/min, depending on where going at each. Heading west, Ngorongoro is right after Karatu.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Karatu. (No mans land) is a good two hours if not more to Eyasi. What to do there apart from Hadzapi visits.

Datoga visits. Also very nice scenery by the Salt lake. What to see on the drive in? Not a lot. a few plantations.

Karatu to Lake Manyara Gate? Depends where you leave from. From the High Street about 30 minutes plus say 15 for stopping at the viewpoint. Then add in the distance of your Lodge from the Tar road. That can add another 45 mins.

From Karatu to the NCA Gate at Noduare is 15km so allow 15mins or 20. From the Gate to the rim allow another 15.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Karatu to Lake Eyasi I have dont it in an hour or so and then it can take up to 2.There is nothing to see on the way.If it is raining heavily in that area it can be a lot slower.

At Eyasi there is nice sceneryaround the llake also the waterholes. I would think half an hour maybe nore from Karatu to Manyara.Mto wa Mbu down the escarpment. But Mfuwe and 4 sandi nubers are a pretty good guide.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Thanks for the driving info.

Is there any wildlife around the lake, or just nice scenery? Any towns/schools/etc. near Eyasi?

Also, are there cultural or other interesting experiences in or near Karatu?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Yes, there are cultural experiences in Karatu. The Iraqu tribes make house bricks. You can visit the brick works and visit with some of the families. Paolo is one with his 'small' family of six children. He is an eloquent man who also plays a violin type instrument. A man in my tour organize a ball mixer to be shipped there to help break up the clay to become brick. I am curious if it arrived and is working. Usually the men use a stick and flail and beat the clay to a mixable consistency. What a lot of work!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

QM-If I manage to stop and find Paolo, I will check on the mixer and let you know. How do you go about setting up a family visit, or the brickworks? Do you remember the cost and time comittment?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

To answer #4 there is nothing at Lake Eyasi but a Salt Lake in the Rift Valley. There are no habitations or schools. that is why the Hadzape tribe live down there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Thanks Sciguy. It would be great to know if it was there and being useful.However one should never get their hopes up.

I did my visit on my OAT trip, but I know at least one other TA poster visited them through their TO. They seemed to have spent the better oart of the day with them, but ours was 2-3 hours.

But you want to watch any overplanning. There are opportunities everywhere and I know you want as much as you can get this trip, but do narrow it down or you will be jumping between so many things that after a time it will blur and possibly dilute the over all. Community visits are exhausting.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Wise words Mama Q.

Let it happen as it happens. Keep something back.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eyasi/Karatu questions

Just a note about those times... our times from Karatu to Manyara and the crater rim were perhaps 5x as long as those stated - but we were stopping for birds. That area, with abundant water and very mixed terrain provides for a lot of variety for birders, and even for rank beginners like the Idiots.