We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many times have you been to Tanzania?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How many times have you been to Tanzania?

how many times on safari?

reading these forums, it sounds like some of you have been numerous times. what draws you back after the first couple of times?

thanks.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

We have been on safari 4 times, twice in Kenya, twice in tanzania. We leave for our 5th trip next week. So what brings us back..... The animals, the scenery, the people, the climate, the places we stay, etc. Each time we go we have a completely different trip, see new things, visit new places, stay in different lodges or camps, meet new people so each trip is quite different. For us a safari holiday is always unique. You can take things at your own pace, do as little or as much as you want. its entirely up to you.

However I would say the main reason we are going back to Tanzania this time is to spend time with the people we have met there. They are so friendly and hospitable. We will actually be there for nearly 5 weeks this time but will actually only spend 10 days on safari. So I agree with something I read that Karl had written a while ago "People go to Tanzania to see the animals but its the people who bring them back". This is definately the case for us.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,588 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

If I had independent means, I would return every year. I went Nov 2011 on a group Safari and returned six months later on my first volunteering trip (at the ripe age of 54). I did toss a safari on the end of that too. I almost bought a return ticket for this month and have several trips to Tanzania sketched out. Also a trip to Uganda and Kenya with a focus on elephants and the David Sheldrick Foundation.

The animals, the Serengeti, to list to the animals at my canvas door, to see the wide open skies and countless stars. And then the people. First time there I said I would never return as my bucket list was so long. But as I waited out my layover in Amsterdam I listened to my heart and was already thinking how I could offer up my skills as a volunteer.

However, when I go back, it will be more as a tourist. i know now volunteering requires more time than I can give. I can only hope that when I retire, there is still a place for me to contribute.

I have heard it called 'the African Heart'. Others believe as it is the seed of mankind, then we are returning home. Clearly for some it is a one time visit and for others it is a pull and connection that is so viceral, one can't explain it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

beautifully stated, both of you. thank you so much for responding.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,393 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

I have done over thirty trips to Africa in the last twenty years.

If I knew what it was that was making me go back I would take something to cure it. Until then I am doomed to keep on returning.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

I have been in Tz so many times that I couldnt possibly count them, and I have no desire to count them. Only one thing draws me back - people.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

Hi

I have been to Tanzania twice, second time i stayed :-)

Edited: 28 March 2013, 05:00
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

I've done 18 "holiday sized" trips to Africa and one big 10 month trip. I've been to Tanzania 4 times (5th coming up this year).

It's the wildlife and the wilderness that keeps me coming back- there are still animals I haven't seen, and the ones I have seen are always doing something different. There are always new things to learn- new tracks (and poo) to identify, new alarm calls, new birds, just learning more about animal behaviour.

Africa is a huge continent with many different parks, all with different scenery, from deserts to mountains to swamps and savannah, all with their own different species. There are also different styles of safari- as well as vehicle safaris, I've done canoeing and boating but walking is a favourite. There are still loads of parks I haven't been to and ones I'd happily revisit.

Some people like going to the beach on holiday to relax- they'll go back to the beach every single year, but no one questions that. So it's odd that quite a few people question why I go on safari so often. Most of my friends find it hard to believe that getting up at 5am every morning is my idea of a holiday, but I find being in the bush relaxing.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

I have been a fair few.

What draws me back is the wildlife, scenary, culture, the fact that it is different, my friends, dog, my inlaws and work.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

Once, but soon to be twice!

Its an amazing journey and very emotional

What drew me back?...the animals, the happy people, the jaw dropping migration, the lions roaring as I slept in the Serengeti, the beautiful scenery.

The whole trip had me reduced to tears. Happy tears. When the plane touched down in JRO, I couldn't believe that my life long dream was coming true. I felt sad to leave. Like I was leaving friends behind.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many times have you been to Tanzania?

Worms...I am certain that will be my reaction too! Tears of joy and astonishment!

There ware many parts of Africa we'd like to explore, but nothing ranks higher on the (my) "to-see" list than the Serengeti! We now have a plan and it seems soooo far away, but feb 2015 is what will work best for us. I realized I really want to go in Feb and any other time would be a compromise. But I hate putting it off yet again. Life is short!

Meanwhile i will keep feasting on these forums! Thank you all for all your advice and contributions, which are invaluable to the rest of us!