We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

This is one of the five itineraries I have received and post it asking for any thoughts, comments, or opinions.

I took the good advice I received on here and emailed in total five Tour operators I am now considering this itinerary.

What do you think of the cost for what is an 11 day safari?

Is it normal that activities are extra and paid by us as we do them other companies have them included in the total cost.

Day 1,2: MWANZA LAKE VICTORIA

Dinner and overnight at Speak Bay Lodge.

option to do lake cruise also canoe trip around Lake Victoria at extra cost. This will be your highly advantage to explore the lake and see different activities conducted around the lake after that you will return to your lodge for leisure. Dinner and overnight at Speak Bay Lodge

Day 3 and 4: SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK

Dinner and overnight at Nasikia Central Camp. Explore the central Serengeti

Day 5 and 6: SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK

After breakfast another day will be spend here to explore the park with a choice of hot lunch to the lodge or lunch box to be served at the recommended picnic site within the park. Late afternoon drive to central Serengeti with game viewing en route to your camp for leisure. Dinner and overnight at Serengeti North Wilderness Camp.

I have checked out this camp and it is owned by Wild Frontiers and is in the Mara Triangle

Day 7: SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK to NGORONGORO CONSERVATION AREA

Go for morning game drive in the park return to your camp for brunch before driving to Ngorongoro Conservation Area. On your way you will have a choice to visit Olduvai George which is the historical site whereby Dr. Louis and Mary Leakey found the skull of the first human being also Masai boma at extra cost, lunch box will be served at the recommended area then proceed with your safari to your lodge for leisure or a choice to do a walking excursion from Nainokanoka to Olmoti accompanied by armed ranger guide then drive to your lodge for leisure. Dinner and Overnight at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

Day 8: NGORONGORO CONSERVATION AREA

Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge

Day 9: NGORONGORO CONSERVATION AREA to TARANGIRE NATIONAL PARK

After breakfast drive to Tarangire National Park via Karatu and Mto wa Mbu villages while on transit you will also have a choice to do cultural tourism conducted in Mto wa Mbu at extra cost. On arrival enjoy your game drive with your lunch box to be served at the recommended picnic site within the park, drive to your lodge before dusk for dinner and overnight at Tarangire Safari Lodge

Day 10 :Tarangire National Park

Day 11: TARANGIRE NATIONAL PARK to ARUSHA

drop off in Arusha.

TOTAL COST FOR THE ABOVE PACKAGE IS US $ 3,950 PER PERSON SHARING IN A DOUBLE ROOM

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

•Visit Masai Boma is US $ 30 per person •Cultural tourism in Mto wa Mbu is US $ 30 per person

•Walking excursion in Ngorongoro highlands is US $ 20 per person

•Flying doctors service is US $ 20 per person for 8 weeks covered 2000km within East African Countries. •Balloon safari conducted in Serengeti and Tarangire National Park is US $ 499 per person •Spice tour is US $ 50 per person for half day tour•Bird walking excursion is US $ 60 per group•Lake cruise is US $ 100 per group while canoe is US $ 60 per group•Biking is US $ 40 per person

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,084 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

Some of the activities might be included in a quote but most of them would not be included and would be add ons. You could decide on them now and have them added to your final invoice, such as hot air ballon as this can get booked up. Others can be arranged with a few days' notice. Most people on safari don't do these activities, so it is actually a credit to the company, I think, that they are upfront on the add ons. Though I am still smiling at some of the spellings. As to the price, I can't say.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

Price is top end at $360 pppd. My guideline is around $300. but you are using at least two up market lodges.

Adding in Optional Extras is fair enough. Better that than a nasty surprise. Pity they cannot spell Speke!

Day 7 is plain silly. From Mara Triangle to the Crater with a stop at Oldupai and then on to Sopa Lodge is a hard day. To suggest a walk at Olmoti just eggs the cake!

Day 9 . I suppose, and hope, that they are referring to a picnic in Tarangire NP and not Manyara NP.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

I just booked a similar itinerary for about $340 pppn. I have less days in the Serengeti and more in Tarangire. But my price includes the canoe trip, Olduvai Gorge, night drives and walking safaris.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

That seems about right given the Extras you have signed up for.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

I think the itinerary is very amateurish. The author hasn't a clue. Apart from the spelling which doesn't instil much confidence.

"Olduvai George which is the historical site whereby Dr. Louis and Mary Leakey found the skull of the first human being" I thought that was Adam.

Any way jokes aside.... Elizabeth there are serious flaws with this itinerary apart from the cost $ 3950 plus extras... if you want to do some of the culturalal stuff it will take the overall trip up to $ 4400 pp. Crazy. Bluebird 711 I think is closer toa really good figure Mfuwe's is a little low.

If you look at day 3 and 4 ...Nasikia camp "central" and then day 5 and 6 late afternoon drive to central Serengeti at the Wilderness camp. If both camps are central why shift.

In fact the Wilderness camp is North in the Mara triangle not central. A copy and paste error maybe but for $ 4000+ . Perhaps the author hasnt been up North. There are many people writing itineraries that have obvioulsy never visited the Serengeti let alone the Mara Triangle.

When Mfuwe says Day 7 is plain silly he is not wrong.It is plain crazy.

Mara to Lobo .. Between 2 and 3 hours. no game viewing

Lobo to Seronera is about 2 hours.

Seronera to Olduvai is about 1.5 hours.. add in time at the gate 20 to 30 minutes.So that could take up to 2 hours.

Visiting George ... Maybe 45 minutes.

Forget the Maasai Boma visit at $ 30 pp a joke and fake tourist trap. Normaly these visits are $ 50 for the group..so a $ 10 add on here.(commission)

But If you went it would add 45 minutes.

Ol Duvai to the crater... 45 minutes, crater to Sopa lodge around the rim, about 1 hour.

Sopa to Nainokanoka 30 minutes...could be 20 drive fast.

Then you are going to trek find a guide,first, and return to Sopa all in time for the view..Good luck

This is about a 13 hour day.

No guide in there right mind would agree to do this itinerary.

Bin it ...Post the next one.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

Thanks for your opinions on the first itinerary.

Here is the second itinerary.

It is $ 12,000 PP for a 12 day trip. It looks expensive compared to other quotes I received which were under $ 4000pp. All the activities are included in this trip and are not extras.

no expert and Mfuwe thanks I think the first itinerary is not really what I am looking for. If you read the forums it looks like this company does design trips that don't really work. Wrong location for time of travel. I am guessing the author has copied and pasted which doesn't instill much confidence in the company.

Please comment on the second trip I am looking at. We did ask to start in Mwanza and did want Cultural activities.

The trip has 6 days in the Serengeti is this too long, should I stay four days there and ask for the first two days to be at Speke Bay, Lake Victoria which has been suggested in other trips.

It then has two days Ngorongoro and two days Tarangire which is ten days of actual safari.

Day 1 Mt. Meru Resort.

Day 2 Flight to Lemala Mara River Camp

Day 3 Lemala Mara River Camp

Day 4 Buffalo Springs tented Camp This camp is at Loliondoi

Day 5 Bufalo Springs tented camp all day in the private gane concession

Day 6 Seronera Sametu Camp I have not seen this mentioned on this forum or others.

Day 7 Seronera Sametu Camp

Day 8 Moru Kopjes Olduvai Gorge Ngorongoro Lions Paw Tented Camp. I can't many many reviews of this camp.

Day 9 Ngorongoro Crater Ngorongoro Lions Paw Tented camp

Day 10 Visit lake Manyara then Kikoti Tented Camp

Day 11 Kikoti Tented Camp

Day 12 Tarangire Day Room Mt. Meru Resort.

This trip does have the activities included in the price night game drive, Maasai village visits and bush walk on Day 5.

It also includes a Cultural tour and F.A.M.E at Karatu on Day 10 before Manyara on the way to Tarangire.

Day 8 has a Olduvai Gorge Tour.

What do you think? Is it value for money and the right locations. On first glance it looks quite expensive by comparison to what others offer.

Has anybody heard of FAME? I haven't seen it on the forums mentioned.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

I am no expert but seems way to expensive to me !!

We are doing 11 day safari and 6 days in Zanzibar for way under that amount .

Pm me if you would like more info re our trip

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,084 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

Only can decide whether this level of luxury is worth two or three rimes the cost of a regular safari. I also question whether the concession outside of Serengeti is best at that time. I love the Serengeti, but given two locations, I would lose at least one night or two from there. I think trying to stick in a cultural event before Manyara and then on to Tarangire is too much Day 10.

One wants cultural activities it takes some time to develop a good schedule to fit them in with sufficient time.

I don't like this itinerary much as they are forcing you into locations and schedules to fit 'their'camps.

FAME is a medical clinic http://www.fameafrica.org/whoweare.html

If yiu don't get much feedback, consider reposting as a separate thread to catch attention that you have somerhing new. Also know that teo of your expert resonders are on the road. I am hoping 4sandi can give you some i sight ipon this latest.

9. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 April 2013, 13:05
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,084 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One of Five Itineraries I have received.Any Comments Please.

I'm back. I was thinking of this more this morning. It is Mfuwe an NE who are gone, so you will be relying on others to give feed back, but I am sure both will tell you it is not value for money - just luxury and some not good spots. If you asked for Speke Bay, they should have quoted it. I do wonder 'why Speke Bay"?

For September, if the migration matters, you do want Northern Serengeti. Exactly where, however, I am not sure (inside or outside of Serengeti and W or E part of the North).

Also, I feel despite saying 'all the cultural activities are included" there is only the Olduvai visit and one day in Karatu that they have stuffed everything into. There is no mention of when and if you will do a balloon lift. Here is a tip. If you do a balloon trip, then book it for the first morning you are in Serenera camp. Then if is is cancelled due to weather, you can rebook for the next morning.

With so many days in the Serengeti, there isn't much time to add cultural activities with this itinerary. So you want to define exactly what you want to do for these activities.