We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari, any low prices?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safari, any low prices?

hi to all out there,

I got one question, perhaps Karl can give me an answer since it seems that he has a really good knowledge of the life in Tanzania.

I ll be in Tanzania on august. I wanna visit Serengeti for 3 days (hope this is enough). Spot animals, see the wildlife, night walks. I am not interested in luxuries (expensive lodges, nice meals etc) at all . I am a student and I cant afford to spend 250$/day as I see that is quoted everywhere for a day in Serengeti.

Is there any other cheap way? Perhaps to hire some local driver? What about the car? We ll be a group of 6-8 students.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari, any low prices?

If you're looking for a cheap safari, with just the basics I would suggest that you contact Armstrong at armnyaka@yahoo.com. He will be able to help you. Tell him that you want just a cheap basic camping safari and tell him that you want to go to the Serengeti for 3 days, what you want to do there, and exactly how many people there will be. They will take a cook along, but you tell them what you want to eat. Tell him that Karl asked you to contact him. Tell him also what your budget is and see if he can do this for you. He probably will be able to do this.

He will get you a very basic safari. When you go then do not expect anything other then very basic.

I'm certain that he will be able to help you out with this, especially if you give him good information.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari, any low prices?

hi Karl and thanks for the quick response.

when you mean basic safari, what exactly you have in mind?

i dont want any fancy lodges, elegant menus, entertainment, bar and such facilities.

i dont mind going even camping. i guess we will need a car and a driver. we wanna see animals, move around, see as much possible out there. any price in mind? around? just to see my budget.

thanks again :)

3. Re: Safari, any low prices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2006, 17:56
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari, any low prices?

Contact a few tour operators in Arusha and tell them that you want a 3 day camping safari for 6-8 people and see what they quote you. My guess is that you should be able to get a camping safari for about half the per day cost that you listed. For a list of operators see www.tatotz.org

Your quote should include vehicle (incl fuel, etc.), driver/guide, cook, park fees, camping fees, food and camping equipment. 6-8 is a good group size so you should have no problems getting what you want.

The Serengeti is a long drive from Arusha though. Do you plan to head straight there, spend two nights and head back to Arusha? You may want to consider spending a couple of extra days and stopping at Tarangire and Ngorongoro to experience some different parks and break up the drives.

Good luck!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari, any low prices?

Andorra1. A real budget safari will be camping and will include, the tents, vehicle, cook, food, water, driver for vehicle who will also double as a guide, and park fees. As you begin to add things then the cost will go up. I would guess that you can get a budget safari like this for between $100 - $125 a day per person. This will depend upon if they can get all the people in the vehicle, When you say that you have 6 to 8 people this can make a difference in the per person per day cost also.

Hope that helps.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari, any low prices?

Hi

A group of 6 -8 is not one of the best numbers because you are looking at two vehicles, each vehicle seats seven, so the ideal number is five, driver & cook take two seats, so what you have is two groups of four.

By Sep the the park fees for Serengeti will be $80 pp per day add to that food & vehicle hire, transit fees etc etc and you will be hard pushed to find even a camping safari for $125 per day, if you can find a company using a stretched landrover or cruiser it has just enough room for all the group will bring down the costs.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari, any low prices?

huge thanks to all!

i plan to be near Usangi these days. and from there we will head for either Moshi or Arusha. if all join we may be 6, if not then the number can drop down even to 3.

i heard some reasonable prices and thats good! now i become more optimistic that Serengeti will be in my plans for sure.

one last thing!

do these agencies need a notice-booking early? probably it will be a last minute decision since we will be moving all time...

lets say, 2-3 days before, are ok?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari, any low prices?

The longer you wait to make a booking the less the chance you'll have of getting what you want.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari, any low prices?

achnab,

Is your $80pppd figure the park fee ($50) plus public campsite fee ($30) or is that what the park fee alone will cost by September? If the latter, that's the second increase this year! I forgot about the NCA fee. Is that currently $30pp even you're just driving across?

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari, any low prices?

Hi PattyC

achnab,

Is your $80pppd figure the park fee ($50) plus public campsite fee ($30) or is that what the park fee alone will cost by September? If the latter,

(A) The former, $50 pp entrance and $30 camping fee, also the vehicle entrance fee is doubling from 5,000 to 10,000 sh and the driver fee from 1,500 to 3,000

I forgot about the NCA fee. Is that currently $30pp even you're just driving across?

(A) Yes.