We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Which camps and lodges in the Serengeti/Crater area give the best value for the money?

Traveling late July and early August.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Wow- this is a difficult question. Value has so many meanings. You would need to give your expectations and minimum level of luxury. Basic camping, mid range, luxury or ultra luxury. Massages and butlers. Simple and remote. Canvas verses permanent. I don't know that anyone can begin to answer this for you.

I can see how spending 1000/nt might be a good value and 350/nt not for me. For others, they would never pay 1000/nt and never consider it a good value. Others thin 90/nt in basic camping (cook for yourself, sleep on ground).

Maybe others can help, but you will get better answers by giving us some background of your travel needs, expectations, wants and budget range.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

For example, if someone went on a high-end safari and stayed in 2, 3 or 4 luxury lodges/camps and felt like one was a better value than the others.

Or say if someone went on a mid-range safari and felt like one lodge was a great value compared to the others where they stayed.

i am interested in mid-range or high-end lodges and camps.

I realize that this is all so subjective, but I am just trying to put together an itinerary and some more input would be helpful.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Not sure as to what you mean by "Bang for the buck!" Buck Antelope and Wildebeeste can give you quite a bang if provoked.

Do you mean which Lodge can provide the best wildlife experience or just the right amount of cosseting?

Note that the wildlife don't give a 4X where you sleep. Some of the less expensive camps have wildlife wandering through the place and that should be "bang" enough for most folks. Other up market joints have hot and cold running flunkies and butlers and actually discourage the Wildlife from visiting.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 11:02
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,085 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

If consideeing actual dollars, it als all depends on the relationship your tour operator has with an accommodation. TO1 may have worked longer with X camp than TO2 so might get a discount while TO2 doesn't. Or the TO may own lodgings so using these will cost a lot less.

So, it is almost impossible to answer.

Get a guide book and read about some of the lodges, or use the TripAdvisor lodging section. See what appeals, then ask us to compare some specific lodgings once you have your itinerary.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

How long is a piece of string? What one visitor thinks is luxury, another wouldn't rate higher than a Motel-6. There is no one answer for every traveler. Do your research to see which might best work for you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

I have been researching this Tanzanian safari for over a year, so I am looking for specific information from recent safari trips. I have already come up with an itinerary to the Crater and Central and Northern Serengeti.

I have also read all the reviews. I am looking for the opinions of those who have been on safari recently and can give their opinions about lodges/camps.

For example, someone who recently went on a high- end safari and stayed in the north at Klein's and Sayari. Which one did you think was a better value and why?

Thanks.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

If you have been planning for a year perhaps you could mention the camps which have caught your eye and ask for views so that anyone who has recently been can help. Of course it's not easy to establish what "best value for money" actually is, but an indication of the areas or accommodation you are considering and what hascdrawn you towards these might help others, help you.

You could take a look at Africa travel resource website, which is an agent, but does a good job of describing, rating and photographing lodges and camps in specific areas of the Serengeti and crater as well as the rest of Tanzania and beyond.

www.africatravelresource.com/tanzania-safari/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,085 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Okay, I'll play, if only to showmhow difficult your question is. BTW, few have visited more than one or two camps in an area, and it may be at different times of the year so often irrelevant to determine value.

lake Masek Tented Camp in May. Only two tents occupied. Room service, free wine with dinner, a real bath tub. Double sinks, outside shower, real electricity and a blow dryer. Why value? I had broken my shoulder the day before. They had lots of ice. They brougt me a beer in my room and I hsd my first bath in five weeks of cold showers during volunteering. No chandeliers, but very plush for the location and for me. Great deck for star gazing, great service. Massage and internet if you wanted it. Slept with the sounds of the nearby hippos. It cost $200 a night.

The other value was the Flamingo Hotel in Arusha. $16 including breakfast. Value as it had hot water, was quiet, just what I was looking for for a place near the bus station from Moshi and easy pick up for the guide the next morning. It ticked all the boxes for that night.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 22:13
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

I think many will find this difficult to respond too as we all have different expectations and priorities. If you could be more specific as to what tickles your fancy or what is important to you then travellers may be better able to help. I for example could image nothing worse than being in a 5 star on safari but some people want/need/expect that experience. The animals may be the critical factor, for others it may be the meals, or the views, or the bathroom, the variation is endless.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which lodges/camps give most bang for the buck?

Lynne DB I think it is an interesting question.

If I just read the title without reading the responses or your other comments.

I would say the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge... not as expensive as the other lodges but better views and location.

A tent under the stars in the Ndutu/Olduvai area In Feburary in a special campsite...hopefully my own party and a million wildebeest. Many companies have these ensuite tented camps set up.

Lobo Wildlife lodge ..in the middle of nowhere, pool, view, rocks.

More up market Migration Camp same area but $ 800 a night but still worth it to be pampered.

At Tarangire Boundary Hill lodge 50% owned the the village and views to die for, or Swala for that tented camping experience so many want.