We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

I was wondering if someone could provide information regarding what recourse I have for having a deposit returned. I booked directly with Moivaro Lodges and Tented Camps at Arusha Safari Lodge.

I made the my initial reservation in February 2013. I have canceled my reservation via email on 4/23/13 with Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps. I received notice that the reservation from a rep from Moivaro South that the booking was cancelled on 4/28 and was being forwarded to the accountant. I realize that there were National Holidays in Tz on 4/26 and 5/1, but the lack of response and return of my deposit is frustrating and disappointing. It took only 3 days for Moivaro to take my deposit, but now we're going on to 3 weeks. Having been to Tanzania three times previously, I am aware of the sometimes different approaches to timeliness, but I expected something much different from a larger and seemingly more organized and professional travel organization.

Again, I would appreciate any suggestions of how I file a complaint?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

My experience there is that it is sometimes very difficult to get money returned, they have no impetus to do that. I am not certain who you would file a complaint with, no BBB or anything like that. You might try contacting TATO or the Tanzania Tourist Board (google them to get their contact), but don't expect much from them and be happy for anything they provide. You will probably get more attention with a telephone call.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

What makes you think you are due any refund of your Deposit? What are the Terms and Conditions you have agreed to? Deposits for bookings are normally non refundable.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

From a Tour Operator point of view: Most lodges require a non-refundable deposit to hold bookings. Without the deposit, bookings are often not confirmed and can be lost.

Usually there is a cancellation fee when a booking is cancelled. Sometimes we can get a credit on a future booking. Extremely rare for us to get cash back.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

There is nothing in my paperwork that states that my deposit is nonrefundable and I am within the time frame of not having a cancellation fee. I also inquired about cancellation fees prior to the booking. And with a 50% deposit made on a several day stay, I'm not willing to walk away.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

Thank you. I find much of your advice in these forums helpful.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

Look at your booking receipt. Top right side "Payment Plan -Standard conditions"

T&C.

All bookings must be accompanied by a deposit payment of 25%

If the booking is cancelled by the client for any reason, the 25% deposit will be forfeited to the hotel.

How far out is/was your Reservation?

Do not confuse Deposits with Cancellation charges. The latter are in addition to losing Deposits.

I would guess they may be looking at returning half of your 50%, i.e. keeping 25% which would appear reasonable.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

The reservation was for July 2013.

There is nothing that states anything like that on my booking receipt. It does say: "Standard Terms and Conditions (0.00)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

Well I would suggest that "Standard conditions" means the 25% Deposit is forfeited.

Moivaro are highly respected and no doubt will respond in due time but be prepared to lose your Deposit..

You do not say why you are cancelling but maybe your Trip Insurance would cover this?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

It is very rare for a lodge or a camp to return a deposit for a cxd booking.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble w/ deposit return: Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps

At nearly $500 dollars+nothing stating that I would lose my deposit by cancelling, I'm not willing to just give up. I'll take this experience as something learned.