We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracks4Africa

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tracks4Africa

We are thinking of buying the T4A maps for East Africa. At home we use our smart phones for directions so we don't own a GPS receiver for the car. I know we need a Garmin but can we buy just any Garmin? We are probably going for a used one. Are there any specifics we should look for?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tracks4Africa

I don't know the whole Garmin range. (mine is a Nuvi 2400) but you should get one that has the slot for a microSD chip in the side. (A good Garmin is not just a Navigation aid. Lots more toys in the box that don't come with a Smart Phone. Worth buying new at £100.)

That way you do not need to upload direct to the device via USB from PC. This has the added benefit that you don't "wipe" the exisitng pre-loaded Maps for Europe so you can use it at home too.

You can then set up on your PC at home, (Mapsource), and insert your own waypoints and destinations to be transferred to SD chip.

Have fun.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 10:23
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tracks4Africa

Tank you! Yes you're probably right and it's worth buying a new one. We circled Barcelona twice when relying on our smart phones this summer... I'll look for one with a micro SD slot then.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tracks4Africa

Wise choice.

My wife had ridiculed my purchase (nothing new there) but one wet dark november night in the English countryside we were seeking our B&B Farm. Many small roads and turn offs all looking the same. We arrived at B&B and wife turned and said "We would not have found this place without Garmin! Worth every penny!"

Your fun in Africa will be when your driver still stops to ask the way because he does not believe you or the Garmin. Also when drivers stop and talk on Game drives and ask what that device does, we tell them it shows where all the Leopards in the Park are hiding.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tracks4Africa

The driver will be my husband who is relying on memory. He has finally realized that things might have changed in the 20 years that have past since he last drove by himself in Tanzania. He is a bit skeptical still but I convinced him by saying it will be fun to update the map if it isn't accurate.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tracks4Africa

I bet he still stops to ask the way!!

He will find some things have changed a lot and some hardly at all. Some good things and some bad ones.

Go with an open mind and enjoy. One thing that has not changed is the friendliness of the people!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tracks4Africa

Do you know my husband? :-) Yes, we understand a lot has happened. We were there thirteen years ago and there were hardly any mobile phones back then and internet access cost more than a hotel room (we were on a budget). It will be very exciting taking the children for the first time.

Ezemaal
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tracks4Africa

Don't bother with these maps, I've just payed and downloaded their East Africa map and am extremely dissapointed. One of the worst, least detailed digital maps I have ever seen - any free open source map will give you better detail.

Bottom line: expensive rubbish !

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tracks4Africa

In what way is this expensive rubbish? More details please.

I use it a lot, 5 weeks in TZ at the end of last year and shortly another trip to Uganda and whilst not perfect, what is? I rate it highly for such a small outlay. Expensive it is not.

Ezemaal
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tracks4Africa

It is expensive in such a way that it lacks all detail, I don't know if you're familiar with decent digital maps ? I am, and I've never seen such a scam - the moment you go off the major roads it's totally blank. I've always dutyfully bought digital maps where available and used open source free maps only when that was the only option.

Every free open source map I've ever used is like 10 times better than this piece of rubbish. It's a rip-off. There's more detail & roads on a 1:700.000 paper map of Uganda !!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tracks4Africa

Koen, have you actually been to Tanzania and used either the Garmin or open source maps for it? Mfuwe has actually travelled the country for 5 weeks with it. Can you provide your experience travelling through Tanzania? At this point it's a no brainer as to whose advice to take.

Can you provide a link to a good free open source map for Tanzania so a comparison can be done? It's kinda of odd that you only have two posts here and they are both bashing Tracks4Africa.