We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

I have a good softside bag with wheels.

- brown tan so wont show dirt

- light weight

- converts to backback which is convenient in rough terrain (helpers in amazon seemed to like it)

- doesnt take much room - unless I overfill it

I am not worried about the 15kg weight since I pack light.

Is the thing about no wheels because of the weight? or is there other problems with bringing wheeled bags.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

>Is the thing about no wheels because of the weight?

What thing about no wheels? It would help to know where you got this information.

On some flights in small planes, wheels are a problem because luggage compartments are small and bags need to be soft and compressible. Wheeled bags usually have a rigid structure that surrounds them and the pull out handle. However, this is usually only a problem on the smallest planes. You need to check the luggage requirement for the particular flight you are getting, as requirements will vary depending on the carrier and the size of the planes they use.

I can't think of any other reason why wheels on a bag would be a problem on safari.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

We were on an 8 day safari in TZ with 2 small "wheeled" bags. If you are talking about in and out of a safari vehicle/jeep, I can't see why it would be an issue. If you are taking small planes, then you would need to follow up.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

Yes I am taking small planes. I will check their websites and see what restrictions they have.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

if it is light, then your porter at camp may carry it by a handle, but I have seen them try to wheel luggage down sandy paths to tents, and it isn't easy or effective.

I think the other reason for no wheels, is if there are numerous in a vehicle, like on a tour, the wheels make packing the vehicle more difficult.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

... and if bags with wheels (besides the extra weight these add even before packing), if the bag has to go into a smal compartment (squished) it's not unusual for a wheel (or two) and/or handlle to break off. Then what?

Granted none of us need more 'stuff' around home to store somewhere, but soft duffle-type bags are inexpensive (mine cost $30 and has held up for years) easy to fold when not in use to be placed inside another bag. So, have soft to be sure when it comes to safari and thus no issues regardless when in vehicle or what size plane/compartment.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

Of course if it is likely to get broken, I don't want to ruin the bag.

But if the handle broke I could always use the backback straps instead or the other soft handle.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

Have to change planes many times and would never consider using a carry on without wheels. Often have to run in airports also. We have flown on every kind of plane in the world, never had problems with wheels.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

I have flown in many small planes, one of my jobs I flew twice a week in a Cessna 210 for about 3 years. I always took a backpack, no wheels. The weight limits are such that it is not too difficult to carry your bag and it is much appreciated by the pilot if you have a soft bag.

Chicago
Level Contributor
449 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

My travel companion brought a wheeled suitcase -- your typical carry-on bag. Despite 8 flights (including 3 very small ones), he had no issues with his luggage. And because there were only two of us in the safari vehicle, again no issues.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wheels or No Wheels on bag for safari

All my luggage has wheels on them, and I've used them all over Africa.