We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

We are planning on going from Arusha to Crater to Central Serengeti to Northern Serengeti and back to Arusha.

One operator that I spoke to strongly advised against doing the safari in this order. She suggested flying from Arusha in the morning to Northern Serengeti and being on a game drive by 10:30 am.

Then on the last day of safari, spending the morning in the Crater and then driving to the airport instead of leaving the Northern Serengeti in the morning and spending the entire day in an airport hotel dayroom waiting for the night flight home.

Her sequence would allow maximum time on game drives. I have to admit that her idea makes a lot of sense to me.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Her idea does make sense.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Yep. Good call on her part.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

one more thumbs up...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Do you see any downside to doing it in this order? Safari is late July/early August.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Lynn

Please give us the details of your trip number of days on safari, number of days in each location.

Many people fly out and then drive back others do it in reverse.

I don't think there is a down side but would like to see the whole itinerary.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

There really isn't a right or wrong. Many prefer the Arusha, Tarangire, Crater, Serengeti to end on a hi-note, but others feel it doesn't matter much.

Even if you did the traditional route and as the TO says you spend afternoon of last day at dayroom, visitors often like to have this time (in Arusha not at JRO) to clean off the bush (shower), put on clean cloths, do some last minute souvenir shopping, enjoy an early dinner and then head to the airport for homebound flight.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

I am thinking:

Arusha- 2 nights then morning flight to Northern Serengeti

Sayari- 3 nights

Grumeti Reserve-3 nights

Crater-1 night, with afternoon descent and then next morning descent

Drive back to airport for night flight.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

What time of the year are you planning to be there. During the dry season you should also put Tarangire on your list of parks to visit, some of the best game viewing is there; and it's all according to the time of the year when you should be in the Northern Serengeti.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Late July/Early August.

LynnDB

What are you going to do in Arusha for 2 nights.?

I think the rest of the safari is pretty good.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reversing order of standard safari makes more sense?

Just in case our flight gets delayed or cancelled. I really do not want to spend anytime in Arusha.

The one and only time I went on a cruise (I did it for a family member and it was the first and last time!), our American Airlines flight to Buenos Aires was delayed by 16 hours. We missed the cruise ship and it took us 3 miserable days to catch up to it. Horrible!

So I guess I would just be a little concerned about missing any of the safari especially when it is so expensive.