We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review

nb canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Review

Before I send this off for some quotes can you experts please review and suggest any changes.

Would it make more sense to cut a day out somewhere and drive back to Arusha?

Do I need to do more research for names of places we want to stay, or just wait for suggestions from operators?

We plan to arrive the last week of October.

Thanks for your help!

Day 1 - Arusha - overnight in Park

Day 2 - To Tarangire - overnight in tented camp

Day 3 - Tarangire – overnight in tented camp

Day 4 - Tarangire – overnight in tented camp

Day 5 - Drive to Lake Manyara - overnight in tented camp

Day 6 - Lake Manyara - overnight in tented camp

Day 7 – Drive to Ngo crater - overnight on Rim

Day 8 - Ngo - morning crater tour then drive to Central Serengeti - overnight in Mobile camp;

Day 9 - Central Serengeti - overnight in Mobile camp

Day 10 - Northern Serengeti - overnight in Mobile camp

Day 11 - Northern Serengeti - overnight in Mobile camp

Day 12 - fly to Arusha

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Review

I think you have done a nice job getting the basic framework in place. Smart to consider flying back. I would stick with that rather than drive, but you could (with a little tweeking). You can't really do it in one day though.

If I may, I would like to carve out a bit more Serengeti time for you, and I have questions.

1. Are you intending to visit Arusha NP, thus the overnight 'in the Park' day 1? The Park is closer to the airport and not in Arusha. Staying in the park is going to add two hours to your drive to Tarangire.

2. You have alloted entire days to do 2 hour drives between Tarangire and Lake Manyara, and then LManyara and Ngoro Crater. Are you wanting to do cultural activities these days? What was the reasoning?

If no desire for cultural or other activities, then just staying overnight the night before is going to give you two free days to reassign somewhere.

The fact that you have stated tented camp, will let the TO come up with options. I am assuming moderate budget. State that, see what they come back with, then repost for our critique.

nb canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Review

Thanks QM for the response.

1) Yes, were planning on visiting Arusha NP, and thought it best to stay in the park, is this correct?

2) We would like to do some cultural activities, but not even sure what are would be the best to experience this. The only reasoning behind the schedule is timing, we are very flexible on how many days to spend in each location and really like the idea of spending more than one night in each place, but if it makes sense to keep on the move to add more time to other spots would definitely do it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Review

Mto wa Mbo and Manyara area is a good place to do none safari activities. Due to price, Crater Rim is the 'one night stand' preferred.

So, if I have it correct - I would recommend the following so that it is clear when you want to be in the parks (and paying the dues):

Day 1- Arrive JRO airport, pick up and o/n Arusha NP lodging

Day 2 - Arusha NP, depart late afternoon o/n Tarangire NP (tented camp)

Day 3 - Tarangire NP o/n Park (tented camp)

Day 4 - Tarangire NP o/n Lake Manyara area (tented camp)

Day 5 - Lake Manyara NP o/n Lake Manyara area (tented camp)

Day 6 - Mto wa Mbo, or Karatu visits o/n Crater Rim

Day 7 - from here on, you can do as outlined.

the extra days can be either in the North Serengeti with fly back to Arusha, or drive and o/n in Ndutu or Karatu, then a more leisurely arrival in Arusha with a day room to have a swim, clean up for your return.

Mto wa Mbo village visit is supposed to be good, or bike from there along the east side of Lake Manayara to watch the fishing, check things out there. Ask your driver to take you somewhere local for lunch. Stop in Karatu for a selection of their fabulous bananas and a walk around a larger 'town'.

If you have the specific dates of travel, we may be able to identify the market days and these can be of interest. If you have read any of sciguy's posts, he is visiting a market that is before Tarangire and is much less visited than others.

Some like, others don't like, Tarangire Safari Lodge. They are tented, but close - some say very close. They offer night drives and are in the park. Others recommend some of the tented lodgings in the Tarangire Conservation area which benefit the locals more, such as Boundary Hill (which isn't tented, but absolutely a fabulous location with the elephants migrating at your feet, birdwatching from your porch - yep a favourite of mine), Ol Tukai, Whistling Thorn, and the list goes on.

Lake Manyara tented is a little harder. I stayed at Kirurumu Manyara Tented camp. It is canvas, but in all intents and purposes is a cabin atmosphere. Again, however, the views are fabulous. It is a bit bigger and spread out, with a more established eating area. Not really 'campy', but you will get that later.

Rim -someone will recommend the one with the best views

Your TO can best recommend the mobile camps for Serengeti

Hope this helps and starts the ball rolling

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Review

I think you have down a pretty good job with a first stab at your itinerary. It suits your October time of travel.

I am one who like Tarangire Safari Lodge. Having stayed both inside and outside the park at that time of year I personnly far preferred staying inside the park. TSL is well located for a variety of game drives. It also really can claim an "Awesome view". If you have the time, in October I would do 3 nights in Tarangire.

I also like Kirurumu Tented Lodge near Lake Manyara. The tents are lovely, another great view and the staff here re really good. It is also a good place for cultural activities. We did a walk along the Rift Valley with a Masai Guide from the lodge which was great.

On the crater rim I like the Sopa for 1 night. Great sunset views over the crater and only 5 min drive from the gate in the morning.

If ending up,in the North of the Serengeti I would fly back

However as far as choosing lodgings are concerned it really depends how much time you think you will spend in these places and how much you are concerned about the facilities, rooms, views etc etc. When we are on safari we are out from early morning until dusk, just returning in time for a sun downer so I don't pay for luxury accommodation or out of the way places as I'm not really there long enough to make the most of them. As long as i have a comfy bed, a shower and decent food i'm happy. So you need to decide what you are actually looking for and let the TO know.

I hope that helps

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Review

Just thought if you want a more rustic experience at Lake Manyara you could try Ol Mesera camp. It is a small place owned by Barbara and she staffs the place entirely from the local Massai people. It is a bit further from Manyara than Kirurumu, on the road to Lake Natron. They only have 5 tents and a covered but open eating area so much more of a camp feel than Kirurumu if that's what you want. The views are lovely and it's very quiet there. We stayed last April and had the place to ourselves

Edited: 28 May 2013, 15:18
nb canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Review

Thanks for all the help so far.

Flights are booked now and we have a few extra days that I have added to the end in the Serengeti, is this the right choice for early Nov? Or, should we change up our itinerary a little and spend more time elsewhere? Or, with these extra days perhaps drive back to Arusha instead of fly.

Should our itinerary specifically state a market visit, a village visit? Any suggestions to where we should add this or a cultural tour.

Down to 4 different quotes, with different suggestions for Serengeti, anyone have any comments on this. I think I would perfer to do 2 camps rather than spending the entire time in one camp.

Day 0 Oct 27 Arrival by shuttle from Nairobi at approx 13:30, overnight ILBORU SAFARI LODGE

Day 1 Oct 28 Arusha NP mixed hiking and game drives in park - Overnight Momella Wildlife Lodge

Day 2 Oct 29 Tarangire National Park - Overnight Boundary Hill Lodge or Tarangire Safari Lodge

Day 3 Oct 30 Tarangire National Park - Overnight Boundary Hill Lodge or Tarangire Safari Lodge

Day 4 Oct 31 Tarangire National Park - Overnight Boundary Hill Lodge or Tarangire Safari Lodge

Day 5 Nov 1 Lake Manyara Park - Overnight Kirurumu Manyara Lodge or Migunga Tented Camp

Day 6 Nov 2 Visit Hadzapi Bushmen & Datoga Tribe - Overnight Kisima Ngeda Tented Camp

Day 7 Nov 3 Ngo Crater - overnight Sopa Lodge - afternoon crater walk, descent early next morning

Day 8 Nov 4 Ngo Crater - early morning descent, followed by Olduvai Gorge then to Serengeti overnight

Day 9 Nov 5 Serengeti

Day 10 Nov 6 Serengeti

Day 11 Nov 7 Serengeti

Day 12 Nov 8 Serengeti

Day 13 Nov 9 Serengeti

Day 14 Nov 10 fly to Arusha for shuttle to Nairobi for flight leaving at 00:25 Nov 11

Suggestions receive from TO's for Serengeti camps, funny that the orders are changed from 2 TO's:

1)Wild Frontiers Serengeti North Wilderness Camp

2) Exlcusive Mobile Camp and Serengeti Katikati Camp

3)Serengeti Katikati Camp and Serengeti North Wilderness Camp

4) Serengeti Wilderness Camp Central and Serengeti Winderness Camp North

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Review

Wow... that looks terrific... good distribution of time, I think... looks like 6 nights in Serengeti... I'd do 3 nights in two places... 3 central, 3 north... fly out of Kogatende... although one could justify 3-1-2 stopping someplace like Lobo part way north...

Looks like a great time to me. I don't know how important it is to have statements about the market/village visits. I guess if you want an actual tour, with locals doing a cultural tourism thing, that should be in the itinerary as there are costs usually provided out of your payments and then you are just tipping over and above that. If the stops are informal, you'll pick up any costs and tips... Probably best that your TO know what you are thinking and that the guide has those directives clearly...

nb canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Review

Thanks idiotsabroad for your comments. Your last post on down time now has me thinking more.... I must stop looking at this site soon and just book something!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Review

I love Day 1 most do a day trip to ANP what a waste Momella is a great way to start the safari. if you are arriving on the 2:30 shuttle why not head straight to Momella and stay 2 nights there.

Day 2,3,4, fine I guess you saw the other post on these 2 lodges.

Day 5 why not think about Ol'Tukai it has a very nice recent review.

The rest is okay.

Visit central Serengeti first then I like Lobo for 1 night then Kogatende and fly out.

looks good now the choice of camps and lodges but basically the trip looks great.

10. Re: Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:17