We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Ok I have been doing my research on doing a Safari and Trek of Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. This would be for travel in October to November 2013

as a solo traveller

i came across a few companies but looks like cost would be very high as many just custom make the trip. I need to save some $ and go with a company that puts in you with a group .

I need some suggestions of the best companies to go with or look up for this type of trip

i am lookingat med budget, but lowest costs but good quality on this

Suggestions of 5 companies to look at? would you recommend Intrepid Travel or G Adventures as a good option.

Thanks again, this is very hard one to plan out.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

It is very hard to plan out, particularly as a solo traveller.

GAdventure is not really a low budget operator. If two people, it is cheaper to organize a tailor made safari. When solo, price almosts double. It is often difficult to join a reliable Tanz company on set date group trips, as either they are cancelled, or are scams when they keep you hanging around whike they collect more people. So you amy ahve to consider non Tanz groups like the two yiu mention. I went with OAT travel, but they are definiteky an older crowd.

Hooefully, you are also reading Lonely Planet Thorntree forum. I hesitate ro recommend to post there, however, as I hear that the scammers read them and give you offers. However, a good database of info.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

I can advise you check with Sunset Africa Ltd....www.sunsetafricasafari.com

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Look off to the right side of this web page and you will see Top Questions about Tz. The 4th down will provide quite a few safari operators. Basecamp Tanzania comes highly regarded on this forum, along with Roys, Sunny, and a few others for low budget. For low budget you will need to do what is called basic camping where they take a tent along and a cook to prepare your meals and set up the camp. That will be the lowest cost safari you will be able to get.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

You can always revisit your posts from 2 years ago. The safari and Kili climb will be much the same, as will most of the operators. :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

But OP is asking for tours, not private safari. Though we know that a private may be had for the cost of a tour.

Recently, someone mentioned Easy Travel which is a Tanz based TO. I looked at their website and noted they run group tours every month. They have also been around a number of years. You might see what you can find out from them.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

You originally asked for some safari operators. If you want to try to be thrown into a group then you will need to do what the group wants to do, not what you want to do. These are preplanned and preorganized. Not a good situation if you want to do a safari there. If you want to contact a person who can sometimes put you in with a group contact armstrong nyaka at armnyaka@yahoo.com. He is sometimes good at finding groups for people who are there by themselves. Just don't be too particular about what you get and demand that you do certain things. You will do what the group has been organized to do.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Low budget means just that, don't expect a Cadillac for a Chevy price. If you have preconceived ideas about what you want to do on a safari then you probably won't get them with a group, if you can't stay in places where you don't think it's the best, you won't get this with a group typically. Low budget is typically low quality.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Sometimes words mean different things to different people. But, this is what I took as a key factor

<<i came across a few companies but looks like cost would be very high as many just custom make the trip. I need to save some $ and go with a company that puts in you with a group .>>

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Thanks so much. I am going to travel Solo. so I will look back at my posts from before and figure out the plan. G Adventures is prob my best option for going solo, but price not good though.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need List of Best Operators - low Budget

Did you try BaseCamp?