We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"I was bored."

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,951 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"I was bored."

Has anyone ever come back to this forum and reported that they were bored on the game drives day after day? People's excitement when they report back is palpable. I just wondered if there is ever a contrary view?

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "I was bored."

Yes I'm sure there is. A safari is not for everyone. I'm not sure I've actually seen posts which actually say "I was bored" but I've certainly seen posts saying "1 day is enough" or "we should have gone for a shorter time".

At the B&B we stayed at in Moshi this time we met a lady who had done a 2 night safari with her husband and 2 adult daughters and she just said that she didn't really enjoy it and that of their 2 weeks in TZ that was the bit she wouldn't bother to do if coming again. She loved TZ just not the safari.

So whilst most people who write trip reviews love their safari as with anything there are some who don't. Most people seem to love skiing, I have been once and won't be going again!!!!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "I was bored."

siouxxie

I have been on many safaris as a guide and then just to experience the wildlife.

I have met many people who think 7 days is too much and others think 20 days is not enough, and I have been with others who will say ...If we see another lion please don't stop.

Different strokes different folks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "I was bored."

I planned my trip with as much time as possible on safari based on all of your comments on here, and I've since heard from two people in real life that they felt their safaris were too long. One was someone I don't know who said 3 days was too long, a friend of a friend, who was giving some Kilimanjaro advice, so it's hard to know how to apply that to myself not knowing her personality.

The other was a salesperson at Moosejaw (a smaller REI-type outfitter) who loved his trip to Tanzania overall but got a stomach bug after climbing Kili, so his 4 day safari was at the outer edge of his limits. That's more understandable though, if you're feeling sick, that's probably going to get in the way of your enjoyment.

So I'm really banking on you guys with the whole "the longer you can stay on safari, the better" attitude. But usually when I travel internationally, I'm so thrilled to be experiencing something totally new and outside my norm, it's hard to imagine taking that for granted. Fingers crossed that nobody gets sick.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "I was bored."

AimlessErwin. So did both of these people do a safari right after a Kili climb? Well, these are two activities that can be 'challenging' and the perspective may be skewed compared to most of us who post here who do only safari. If you are doing both activities, it is advisable to give a couple of days down time between the two activities to rest up, deal with laundry, get regrounded, and a clearer perspective for the next travel phase. If people jam too much intense experience back to back, sometimes they get tired and 'done'.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "I was bored."

Good point, QM. I know I'll relish the hotel break from camping in between the two. Real bed! Actual shower! It's the little things :)

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "I was bored."

We enjoyed our safari immensely and the game drives were obviously the main components of the trip, that said, if you get in the same vehicle for seven days and repeat the same activity each day it can get monotonous for some people. We found it very advantageous to intersperse other activities throughout the safari. We visited the Hadzabe and Datoga tribes near Lake Eyasi, stopped at the Oldupai Gorge to learn of the archeological discoveries that have occurred in the area, did a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti, visited a wood carver in the Mosquito River area and actually had time to enjoy the swimming pools at a couple of the camps

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "I was bored."

I, too, read a lot of "try to stay another night here" and similar comments. The TO I worked with suggested 9-11 days. We just couldn't see going all that way for 9-11 days. So we added days and added days until we ended up with this:

Arusha to Tarangire to Crater to Central Serengeti (fly) to Northern Serengeti (Mara) (fly) to Selous Game Reserve to Zanzibar.

I think our TO thinks we are a bit nuts but we don't care, maybe we are??? We have days in the middle that are just for a bit of relaxing and not going out in the vehicle if we don't feel like it. I wanted to soak in everything and not move super fast. I don't know if we are doing the best thing (or making a terrible mistake)but it's done and we're going and we could not be more excited.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "I was bored."

I have had people who got bored on day 2, thinking it would be different from day 1. I actually had one person sulk in the back seat for hours, and was completely bored with all that was going on. This wasn't the majority of people but some. I am certain that none of those who got bored would write a trip review, they just wanted to be done with it. And then there are those who think it's the same because they only saw lions, elephants, giraffe, etc. on each of the days, same animals over and over.

Everyone chews their own food differently. And everyone does it right for themselves.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "I was bored."

My mother taught me a technique that I later passed on to many as a teacher. Whenever I said "I'm bored" she made me change it to "I'm boring" and then ask myself if it fit. It usually (always?) fits!

I don't think we see too many "bored with safari" reports because the difficulty and expense of planning a safari self-selects against those so lacking in imagination that they can't see something new every day in the behavior of a lion, the structure of a baobab tree - or a dung beetle, for that matter.

Overprivileged children (and the childlike adults they grow into) have been a lifetime study of mine. But, frankly, if you have a choice... go with the dung beetle. Much more interesting.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "I was bored."

Souxxie, I'm glad you posted this. I am planning a safari now. I have looked at many itineraries. I had thought that I should plan my own to avoid all the non-drive activities, now I may reconsider, and do a group tour.

Just curious, can you share a little more... Things you did like, your accomodations, ect?