We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

Arusha, Tanzania
2 posts
Save Topic
Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

Please I am thinking of traveling on Ethiopian Airline to Tanzania via Nairobi. I am Tanzanian but I am not sure if I will need any travel document other than my passport. The other main concern I have is about custom clearance at the airport and at the border. I plan to land at Nairobi Airport at 12.45 hrs then board a shuttle bus to Arusha around 14.00hrs. Will the customs at the airport need any confirmation that whatever i will be carrying will go to Tanzania? I just want to be sure there are no demands by customs since i will be on transit to Tanzania.

Landing at 12:45 hrs, will I be out of the airport to catch the 14hrs shuttle bus? It's my first time to fly to Nairobi in such a route so your input will be very helpful.

I would fly to JRO or Dar es Salaam but the price difference is huge I think. Traveling on/around 9th July 2013.

Asante Sana.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

I think you may have a problem in Kenya. You are entering that country and thus must comply with that Countries Import regulations. Your baggage may or may not be searched.

One hour and 15 mins is not long to catch the shuttle. If the plane is late, or there are delays at Immigration or Customs you may miss the shuttle.

Arusha, Tanzania
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

Thanks for the hints Mfuwe.

Please if anyone have traveled to Nairobi on transit to Tanzania I will be happy to hear their advises especially on customs.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

Almost by definition when you are leaving the airport to catch the shuttle you will pass through customs. As above, whether they check your bags for some declared items will be up to them, I typically merely pass though the green line and keep walking, unless they stop me. If you have customs documents I would tell them if stopped and not wait for them to see whatever it is. You will need to go through customs when you leave Kenya and when you enter Tanzania, if you are on the shuttle typically the driver takes care of this as it will be in the baggage which is on the top of the shuttle bus typically. Since you didn't say what it was we are in the dark on much else.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

TIKU,

Both Mzee Gingrich and I have done this trip several times.

You are entering Kenya even if only in transit. Us Wazungu have to get a Kenyan Visa even though heading for Tanzania the same day. We go through Kenyan Immigraton and Customs to do this. Then at Namanga we leave Kenya and our Visa is cancelled and a new TZ one obtained. We also clear customs into TZ and our bags will be inspected or not depending on what the Customs Official decides.

I imagine your TZ passport will exempt you from a Kenyan Visa but it will not exempt you from Kenyan Customs. You will be subject to the same procedures as anyone else. If you have dutiable goods you will have to declare them or risk confiscation and a fine. If, perchance, you have prohibited articles and they are discovered you will face a jail sentence.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 20:51
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

BTW... If you are coming in from Addis on Ethiopian air, you may be subject to having a yellow fever vaccination check at the Namanga border. They now have a health station set up there, and from time to time do check on the vaccination certificates, if you don't have one they will administer it and there is a fee for that. The last time I went through there they were not checking anyone.

6. Re: Customs clerance and timing at Nairobi air, on transit to TZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16