We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dilema?????????????

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
dilema?????????????

should we do rubondo island or greystoke mahale at the end of our safari??? rubondo is brand new and closer to our northern tanzania safari, looks amazing. Greystoke way more expensive and further but better chance of seeing chimps. what to do????? advise please

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,390 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dilema?????????????

Rubondo IS amazing. I was there in 2010 and enjoyed the freedom to wander around. No swimming though!!

Is it 'new'? Can you track Chimps there? I did not know that.

If Chimps are your object then Mahale will win.

Uganda is far better than either.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dilema?????????????

I think it depends on what your wishes are for this part of the trip. Is it to most definately see chimpanzees and relax or more just relax? What time of the year are you thinking of going?

From my information gathering I know there are chimpanzees on Rubondo Island, but the are not habituated the way the are in Mahale NP, hence they are much harder to find.

When you say that Rubondo is new do you mean the new accomodation by Asilia, The Rubondo Island Camp? I found a "special" opening price from December 2012 of $380 per person per night, so no idea what the regular price is. Depending on when you are going and where you stay in Mahale I think you pay around the same amount.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dilema?????????????

For chimps why not go to Gombe Stream? Easier to get to, but not all that easy. You can fly or bus into Kigoma and then take a water taxi to Gombe Stream. This is where Jane Goodall set up her organization for research into chimps.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dilema?????????????

Greystoke sure doesn't cost $380/pp/nt... likely twice that amount.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dilema?????????????

@4Sandi very true the regular season rate at Greystoke is probably even more then twice that!, but there green season rate isn't much more then $380 pppn, hence why I was asking when the OP thought she would be travelling. Also at Mahale there is the Flycatcher camp and Knungwe, both more reasonable then Greystoke.

Rubondo from what I can tell only seems to have the Asilia camp (luxury) or budget accomodation (self contained bandas, camping or a hostel), nothing really in the middle. Although I think there might be a Flycatcher camp here. Mfuwe would obviously know better then me as he has been there, wonder where he stayed?

6. Re: dilema?????????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17