We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

I am just sending the last batch of money over to my TO in Arusha in payment of our August safari but my TO has sent an email asking for $80 more per person to cover an increase in park fees which, he tells me, the government have introduced as of 1st July. That's quite a lot of increase, if you ask me, when we have to times it by four. And I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

We are on the Northern circuit and going to Serengeti, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, so nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else been asked to stump up more money?

Thanks for advice.

Mto wa Mbu, null...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

Hi,

The rise of tariffs has brought much complains from travelers want to visit Tanzania National Parks. For more information on the new tariffs visit: http://www.tanzaniaparks.com/ then on the title New PARK FEES FOR 2013-2015, you will find New tariffs valid from July 1st, 2013 to June 30th, 2015, then you can download a PDF file format on the Download tariffs list.

Thanks.

Mto wa Mbu, null...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

Hi,

The rise of tariffs has brought much complains from travelers want to visit Tanzania National Parks. For more information on the new tariffs visit: http://www.tanzaniaparks.com/ then on the title New PARK FEES FOR 2013-2015, you will find New tariffs valid from July 1st, 2013 to June 30th, 2015, then you can download a PDf file format on the Download tariffs list

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

The Park Fees have been raised by about $10 per day per person. I think they get increased every couple of years or so.

I have not seen the T&C with your TO but I feel it likely that they will exclude Fee increases outside the control of the TO in the Price. It is really no big deal as Park Fees in general form such a small part of the overall cost..

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

In my opinion, they should have written this into the contract, or allowed for the increase, which was known ahead of time. On the other hand, remember that money is more important to people who are living with less, and the increased costs will hurt the company if they have to 'eat it' themselves.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am really happy that everyone has confirmed park price increases are for real and this is not some scam. Having developed what I thought was a really good relationship with my TO in Arusha, I didn't then want to find out they might be up to no good - I feel rather ashamed now for having questioned the change of price in the first place, to be honest. You are right, mfuwe, this is no big deal as we are spending a HUGE amount on the trip anyway. We are not rich but we can afford it, so an extra $500 or so is nothing to moan about.

Thank you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

I booked my trip some time ago for a trip in Feb 2014, at that time he informed me that park fees would be increasing so it was no surprise.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

Whether park fees, fuel surcharges or others that have been in recent discussion are 'statutory' increases that outfitters have no control, regardless their regular protests.

Many such fees just crop up with little if any advanced notice as to effective date/s. And, as these apply to most all of the outfitter's clients, can simply be absorbed on the already small profits they make.

So, this is not a scam.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

The increase in park fees is from the 1st July 2013 and is $ 10 pp for adults, children under 15 remain the same.

This was announced months ago so shouldn't be a surprise to anybody especially TO's.

Normally the National Parks will not just increase park fees without prior notice and usually months in advance.

As they are starting in July 1st today I am surprised your TO forgot or didn't tell you earlier. If you look at the Tanapa web site they will show the date the fees where published.

It was September last year they posted on the Tanapa website. It does not include Ngorongoro of course.

I think your Tour Operator is slack and it is probably a scam..I would really ask for more details. why wasnt it included in the first place... what parks are they for etc etc

Also when Tananpa increase such fees they usually send out letters for these things so all TO's would've known last September.

9. Re: Increased park fees and TO asking for more money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:18