We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions

Rocky
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions

We have decided to head to Tanzania next year. We would like some feedback on the places we are possibly visiting, the order we should see them in and the timing. On our last safari in Kenya we used fly-in tented camps, which we found ideal.

Timing: We can either travel in early July or early September. We can spend 2-3 weeks travelling.

Locations: We would like to do the Serengeti (to catch some of the migration) and the Ngorongoro Crater. We are also interested in Tarangire (liked that there are heaps of elephants) and Selous (liked that we could do water safari and walking tour). Is it too much for the one trip?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

No not too much if you have up to 10 days+ in the North and then fly to the Selous. You can fit it all in pretty easily.

Why not fly from Arusha North to the Mara area and then drive back through Seronera to Ngorongoro and Tarangire. You would then have 1 guide the whole of this part of the safari...to me a bit of an advantage. Otherwise in Sept. Fly into the Mara area stay a few days and then fly to either Seronera ( I would prefer) then drive the rest of the way. You could do it the other way around of course do Tarangire first, then drive to Ngorongoro and from there fly to the Kogatende area. With Tarangire and Ngo. use the one driver then up North it would be on a fly in basis. From there then fly to the Selous.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 11:18
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I agree. North and South are possible in 21 days. Maybe a bit rushed in 14.

Much of what NoEXp says makes good sense. Personally I would fly up 'north' from Arusha and have your car/driver join you on arrival. then make your way down through Lobo and Central and 'out' via Ngorngoro and Tarangire, especially in September.

Then bid your driver and car farewell and catch the flight to Ruaha and Selous where your games drives will be shared by using the Camp cars.

Exit via DAR and fly home.

Rocky
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thanks for the information. Do you have any accommodation suggestions for the northern Serengeti to be able to take advantage of seeing some of the migration. I realize that in September we will be there at the end of it. When we stayed in the Mara we stayed at Mara Intrepids, so something of that standard (tented camp) is what we enjoyed and can afford.

When you suggest a car/ driver, is this person with you all of the time, at dinner etc? We noticed in Kenya that some of the drivers would have all of their meals with the people they were traveling with. We had a driver when we went to Lake Nakuru, but as this was only for 2 nights we enjoyed having our meals with him. I did wonder though how this would be on a longer trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Accommodation suggestions are very subjective. We all have our favourites so you may wish to consult a guide book such as Bradt Guide to Tanzania. Then check any Trip Adviser reviews on here against your selection.

Eating with your driver is an oft discussed topic.

Various forces at play. He may not wish to eat with you so he gets some relief from you. Also Western food often disagrees with them as they prefer their own. They also use that opportunity to eat and exchange chat with their fellow guides. (Picking up tips for tomorrow.)

Some Lodges do not permit it, we are told. This may be true or it may be that the T/O's allowance does not run to that extra cost.

So if you would like him to dine with you extend the invitation and leave it to him to accept or not. Never press this.

On the other hand you may 'wish to be alone' so don't ask him in the first place.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

In Northern Serengeti/Kogatende there are few camps, most are rather expensive and as this is for next year, you're lucky to be able to get your preferred choices and for consecutive days (minimum 3/nts). If for this year, you'd be out of luck.

While I prefer to 'save the best for last' as traveling from east to northwest ending in the Kogatende area, others prefer from northwest to east, starting at Kogatende. You can have same guide/vehicle regardless which direction. So that's up to you.

Either way, once back at Arusha (by air if east/west or road west/east), a flight via DAR to Selous and/or Ruaha or both.

Your international air should have you arriving at JRO and departing for home out of DAR. This an 'open jaw' ticket and available from various air carriers - KLM, Ethiopian, Qatar and Turkish. Note though while TK fares are rather tempting, their flights arrive about 1:15am and depart about sometime early morning (from DAR) and thus incur additional hotel charges.

Good luck.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 16:42
Rocky
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thanks for the heads up for the flights! I have spent some time today investigating the northern camps and have found them to be quite expensive, but they all get excellent reviews. Has anyone stayed at a couple of them and have any preference? We were looking at Sayari Mara, Lemala Kuria Hills (we know this is brand new) and Lamai Serengeti (though is this too far away at that time?). Should we consider any others?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Wild frontiers have a medium priced camp there I would chek them out as well.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Just to slightly amend what sandi suggests for internal routing.

If back in Arusha from 'the wild west' then no need to route via DAR for the southern parks. You can use a daily flight from Arusha to Ruaha, stop there (tell the driver which camp/strip) then after a sojourn there, fly on to Selous, repeat, and then fly to DAR.

Indeed no actual need to go right into Arusha as the Ruaha plane will pick you in Tarangire.

9. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17